Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox dilemma  (Read 12391 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Fox dilemma
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:08 am »
I was sitting watching the tv last night when I saw a fox through the patio doors. It was as bold as brass walking through my front garden.
I banged as hard as I could on the glass to scare him but he didn't seem to be the least bit scared. By the time I had got the dog out the fox had gone. What do I do now?
I must admit that he had a lovely face and I don't think I could have shot him, even if I had a gun (which I don't).
I was worried about the chickens but they were all present and correct.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Fox dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:18 am »
He'll be back to dine later... >:( :( >:( :o

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:28 am »
Have you got a local gamekeeper, Bionic?  Around here they are usually pretty keen to deal with foxes at this time of year because of the poults going down soon.

Neighbouring farmer may know of someone willing to do the job.

If you see him around and you haven't got many hens it maybe worth keeping them confined in their run for a while.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:47:02 am »
Electric poultry netting on mains charger will do the trick. We have not (yet - I have to add) lost any hens or ducklings to either foxes or badgers, or even mink... even though all are present and check out the "facilities" regularly...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:24 am »
Anke,
My chickens free range across a coule of acres so the poultry netting won't work for us  :(
Thanks for the suggestion though
Sally

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
Can you let your dogs lurk around your hens for much of the day, and pay visits at night?   Foxes tend not to challenge dogs, especially if there are more than one, and if yours doesn't know when is a dog-free time, the fox might go and hunt elsewhere.  A little dog urine and faeces left about, while not great for other reasons, will remind the fox of who lives there.

The fact that he wasn't alarmed by you banging on the window means he's been before, so it looks as if your hen safety has been ok so far.  Dusk and dawn tend to be the most likely times for an attack, dusk in particular, so make sure you don't forget to shut the hens in on time  :chook: :chook:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:20:55 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:29 am »
Anke,
My chickens free range across a coule of acres so the poultry netting won't work for us  :(
Thanks for the suggestion though
Sally

With a battery charger poultry netting is easily moved, and the 50m long one gives them a good enough area, just move it whenever it looks a bit bare. We gave up on the idea of fully free ranging hens. We had at the beginning a bunch of old hybrids that were feather pecking badly in their enclosure, so we got them a "man" and let them free range... they well and truly marched about led by this "teenager" cockerel, all the way down to the road.... we didn't loose any as they came home for "corn time" at 5pm and were then shut in for the rest of the evening. I was more worried about the cars and tractors rather than the fox... as they didn't lay much anymore.

But for us the netting is invaluable for keeping our two flocks (and cockerels) separate and also the younger (and more valuable) hens safe.

But if you get a fox attack, re-think your arrangements for free-range....

PS.: Our dog(bitch) also leaves her little perfumed notes around the place....

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:41:10 am »
I've told the story before but Mr. Fox took my hens from our garden when the dog was outside with them  ::) . At other times we had seen him sun-bathing in the garden and totally ignoring the hens that were scratching in the borders.  ???

Keep your fingers crossed, he may have been just passing through.  :fc:  Only way to be safe is to confine them some way.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
Similar to us Sally, we have a resident fox that walks past the chicken run (electric netting about quite a large area) he's very sure of himself. The only 2 hens we've lost have been errant wanderers and it was during the harsh cold winter time.
If yours are that free range though its going to be harder to implement any control.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
A fox took ours at 8.30pm at the beginning of June, full daylight, if they are taking stuff back for the cubs they'll be gettng desperate.
Being so bold I wonder if it was a dumped urban fox?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »
I wondered about an urban fox too.  It was also around 8.30pm when I saw this one. You aren't sending yours down to me are you?  ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »
But we had one last year that walked across the field next to ours each afternoon and watched us with indifference. When hubbie walked along the lane with our dog, he would just sit watching in the hedge.
My neighbour has just lost a hen and 4 chicks to a fox ..... midday.

Can't all be urban foxes. They don't release that many surely ...... ????

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:22:27 pm »
" Can't all be urban foxes. They don't release that many surely ...... ???? "

only by the hundreds

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »
Which it is illegal to do, incidentally.

Were it my garden, I know what I'd do....

jonkil

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »
Big problem here in Ireland.
Shot over 100 last season.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS