Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubators  (Read 15119 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Incubators
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:51:17 pm »
Am just about to invest in my first incubator (only ever used a bantam before!!) and I had FINALLY decided on the Brinsea Octagon DX20 last weekend......and then someone said they're now no longer made and the 'improved' model has been launched  ???......and of course it's about another £50  :o!!!   I want to be able to incubate everything from quail to turkey/geese.   Anyone any thoughts/advice/experience/recommendations etc  :)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

rustyme

Re: Incubators
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:20:20 pm »
hello blinkers,
                if you are a bit blue peter like , you could have a go at making one ?

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/eggs/res20-incubator.html

you can change all sorts of bits and bobs depending on what you have to hand, but it is very easy to make one.  Can't help with ready made ones though sorry, I would just make my own ...lol.

cheers

Russ

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »
Thanks Russ......and I wish I was a bit Blue Peter'ish....cos that would be so satisfying to make my own. But.........nearest I got a successful Blue Peter project was about 40 years ago when I 'attempted' a Christmas 'mobile' made out of 2 wire coat hanger......need I say more  :P :P :P
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:53:38 pm »
     lol.... I know what you mean .....but if you don't try you will never know if you can do it....nothing wrong with trying and failing ....but failing to try  ?
      I know it is also a time /money thing these days , but it isn't at all hard to have a go , you could make one out of building polystyrene slab....just cut and tape it together a couple of light bulb fittings and a dimmer switch, add a thermometer and a dish for water and hey presto one incubator. It would only take an hour or so . So many ways to make one. I even used an old yogurt maker ( the type that has 6 pot shaped sections for the yogurt pots and a clear plastic lid) to hatch a dozen quail eggs once. It was that I used to hatch some Plumhead and Alexandrine parrakeet eggs when I was about 12 . They were fun feeding by hand. So go on, have a go . Put another skill in your collection . 

Russ

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:11:13 am »
I bought one from terry beebe at regencey poultry. he is quite an expert and writes in all the magazines, and gives great advice. he will work to whatever your budget is. the one I bought is very sturdy and simple. I have hatched hens, bantanms, tukeys and geese successfully. this week i have hatched some pekins and some light sussex, with some cream legbar due sunday. It is a wonderful thing to do as you can witness the whole process. There is another company called interhatch that i have also used before and they have a good range of units. I have never used a brinsea unit so i cannot comment on them, but they seem expensive. I lokked at your website, it is great, it sort of explains how lots of us get pulled into the accidental smallholder category. start with one element and get carried away by they whole experience, great fun.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:01:22 pm »
We've got a Brinsea and it's been fine. We had a Covatutto, which let us down a few times and in the end we sent it back and told the vendor we never wanted to see it again.

And the Brinsea is British made.

Rosemary

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:46:18 pm »
Thanks all......and my brain's hurting from looking at all the different makes and websites.  :P   :-\   Will mull over again and try and make a final decision before the end of the weekend !!   :)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

sophs 67

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:54:50 pm »
Hi This is the first time i have been on so here goes!! I started with the airing cupboard!! Hatched 6 quail out of 10!! Luck i think!!Then like you it made my head spin looking at all the variables but i ended up looking at pt poultry noy sure if they are still around and got a fully automatic one for just over £100 it does all sizes of eggs i have hatched ornimental pheasants quail and various chickens..It does need tweeking every so often and needed to be resealed this time but as it is see through you can watch the whole process without disturbing anything!! Good luck Sophie

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 12:25:33 pm »
Well.....I finally made up my mind  ??? ::).....and have gone for the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced...although its not been delivered yet!     I thought long and hard about...."I really should try making my own"......but decided that from past experience...I'd better get a ready made job!   Looked at the Airing cupboard idea too.......but forgot that OF COURSE, hubby has filtched it first for his wine making.......and I sure don't want to interupt THAT !! ;D ;D ;D       It's rather more expensive that I had budgeted for, so high expectations in return!.   Will be ordering my turkey eggs as soon as its arrived and I've forced myself to read the instructions.....never very good at that bit...too impatient...and then wonder why it goes pear shaped >:(  Will I ever learn!   ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 11:15:50 pm »
Good luck with your incubator Blinkers , we have had enourmous fun with ours- especially as we too are really poor at reading instructions :D We are just waiting for our next batch of eggs to go in(have ordered some so as to increase our stock of pure breeds) its amazing how many airing cupboards are full of wine!!-ours now has banana wine bubbling away mmmm ;D
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:38 pm »
IT'S ARRIVED...........now I have to force myself to read the instructions.. :-\ :-\ :-[ :-\   Darn it, I just want to stick these lovely green - cream legbar eggs in NOW :P
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:52 am »
I've been using my incy already,a nd rushed in thinking i knew it all. forgot a few basics and have hatched  a few chicks so far.( l/sussex, pekin, orpington, cochin, ixworth, vorwerk and a cream legbar that was deformed so had to be despatched). I have managed to snap the thermometer, ouch. and also in my struggle to keep humidity high at pipping have lost a few that were nearly out.( don't open up and add water during pipping as all the warm moist air rushes out) ::). best of luck with your legbars, i am going to put some more in fairly soon as i love the greeny blue eggshells. ( avoid buying fertile eggs sent via the post as you don't know how much shaking about they get, which can rupture the membranes inside, i am going to collect in person from now on)
carl

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:44:20 am »
Thanks for the tips Carl....especially about not opening the lid when they're pipping.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 09:52:03 am »
What am I doing wrong???   I've followed the dratted instructions....but can't seem to get the Humidity up to the % it says???    I've set it digitally to 45%, but the actual doesn't seem to want to go above 33%...if that makes sense?!?!?   I haven't put the eggs in yet ....... maybe that's why???  Anyone any ideas??      ???
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS