Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good cheese making book?  (Read 7049 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Can anyone recommend a good cheese making book?
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:24:51 am »
It would need to start from scratch as I am a complete novice.

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Can anyone recommend a good cheese making book?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »
I love my Rita Ash Self-Sufficiency Cheese-making.  It's a super book for a newbie, not large nor expensive, explains everything really clearly, simple recipes that work and give you confidence to start experimenting. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:36:04 pm »
Thanks Sally I have just ordered it along with Self Sufficiency, spinning, dyeing and weaving

Sally

Fermette de La Forge

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »
Hi,
I like "Home Cheese Making" by Ricki Carroll. It's American so it's all in old money ( Fahrenheit, ounces and gallons) but easily converted - there's probably an 'ap' for that! Very good and clear instructions for a wide range of cheeses and a special section for cheese making with goat's milk.
Cheers,
Julie

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:51:32 pm »
Hi,
I like "Home Cheese Making" by Ricki Carroll. It's American so it's all in old money ( Fahrenheit, ounces and gallons) but easily converted - there's probably an 'ap' for that!

You have to remember that a US gallon is 3.8L, whereas ours is 4.5L, and that an American 'cup' is a heck of a lot bigger than a standard British teacup! :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:12:47 pm »
I do at least have a set of american cup measures.  So many recipes seem to use this that I bought the set in the US last year.
Sally

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:02 pm »
You could search :
Goodlifepress.co.uk

Books ar cheap ( cheese making book is £1.50) and they have some good stuff.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »
Hi,
I like "Home Cheese Making" by Ricki Carroll. It's American so it's all in old money ( Fahrenheit, ounces and gallons) but easily converted - there's probably an 'ap' for that! Very good and clear instructions for a wide range of cheeses and a special section for cheese making with goat's milk.
Cheers,
Julie

I'll second that. Use it most of the time, make regularly Goats milk cheddar, soft cheese for cheese cake or just with herbs/garlic, Haloumi, Coloummier (with or without mould), itching to do more stuff with blue mould...

Sally/Bionic - when you use shop-bought milk it may be best to use Calcium chloride, as she recommends, although I never use it for my goatsmilk now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 11:47:19 pm »
Sally - did you like the Rita Ash Self-Sufficiency one?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:36:22 am »
Sally,
Yes I like that book and at the same time bought a similar self sufficiency one on spinning.
Not tried cheesemaking yet though
S

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS