Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats are fed up  (Read 4720 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Goats are fed up
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »
and so am I .....of rain, rain, and more rain.  Last night was terrible, with torrential downpours, which lasted ages.  Rained all night, and still raining hard now.  Left the doors open for some of the goats, so that if the rain eases, they can come out into the paddock.  Darren the billy, comes out for a few minutes, then the heavy rain returns and off he goes indoors.  He must come to the door to check its stopped, before venturing out again!!

Dinah, Cherry and Minnie came out to the big hay rack, although they had hay indoors, as did Bramble and Alice.  Then Alice decided it was too wet for the small kids to be out, and ushered them back indoors - how strange that she is looking to these kids, yet ignored her own three (and still does if she sees them in the field).  Trouble is, if the goats are coming out, they tread  the mud into their sheds and make a right muddy mess, but they seem to like the door open to see out, and check the weather!!

Been for yet another large bale of round hay,and using one bale a week, which I should not be at this time of year, but 27 goats and 3 small ponies can eat a lot in this weather.  They no sooner get outside than the rain starts and off they have to run to shelter!!  Still some grass, which is surprising given the amount of water that has fallen, but I can see it turning to mud. 

Supposed to be taking pics of the pygmies, which I am selling, but they refuse to come out of their shed for a photo shoot - and who can blame them looking at this rain.

At least all this rain is filling my big water tank, off the stable guttering, so thats one good thing.  About the only one.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Goats are fed up
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:04:53 pm »
My lot can't be bothered to come in from the rain unless its very heavy ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:07:22 pm »
Oh well at least you have got hay... my hay seller has just phoned to say that he has run out, and despite having promised a load to me.... just as well that horses are so much more important  >:(  than goats who actually produce something for us.... now what? whereelse am I going to get hay from at this time of year? ??? Just had one of the kids down with diarrhoea/posibly cocci after eating damp grass.... what am i going to feed them? ??? :'(

I am so fed up this is unreal...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »
Thought I'd be nice to my lot and mowed some grass for them while they are in, they prefer the hay!
Field shelter has over ankle deep mud when going in and out, luckily we put a raised area of flags inside, boys fastened in down there now.
Girliegoats not happy, yelling at me everytime I go in the barn.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:05 pm »
We are in the same boat Anke. Our supplier had plenty of big bales left before the highland show. I went in the week after, and the whole has gone-all sold. All he had left was a few small bales (the ones which had been at the bottom of the stack, so all of them had one tatty side). He was good enough to only charge me a fiver for six of them, and we got six nice small bales from the local feed supplier (at a much higher cost) but they only have about 40 bales left too.....

No way can any hay be cut just now..... Will manage for a couple of weeks, after that who knows.

Beth

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
have been cutting hawthorn and beech shoots for mine which it loves
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »
Be careful with hawthorn.  My vet reckons that's what caused Cloud's absess.  Apparently hawthorn and blackthorn grow a fungus on the thorns.  He found out when he was stabbed by one and it became infected.  Just paid a large bill to put right the results of free food.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »
Well I have two and a half small bales left, I was sure that I would collect enough for the next two months tomorrow...
Put some straw into the GG's rack - they looked at me as if to say - you must be joking right?!   :o
The kids on the other side - with hay in their rack were trying to pull through the straw and eat it...,  :o

We will start to cut grass tomorrow and dry in the p/tunnel, it's what we did last year for the adults from May onwards - it worked fine. But it wasn't quite as wet and we normally managed to get few large bags done every two/three days....

And the BT's in particular are now seemingly getting cabin fever... started to chew the shed again and lots of head butting across the pensides...

I just want to emigrate - to the Gobi desert !!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:32 am »
It is worrying getting a supply of hay with the weather the way it is.  The farmer along the lane from us usually gets three cuts of silage - he got the first one only last week, and that he baled in the rain.  The fields he cut are a right muddy mess where he went round with the tractor. I noticed today that he turned his lying off milk cows into one of the fields he had yet to cut.......  Hardly anyone else has mowed their fields.

Most of our hay and haylage is brought in from other parts of the country, so that pushes up the price.  Mine was £35 up until last week when it jumped to £40.My supplier does still have some, but he said he was not sure how long it would last.  Even when I was there, people were coming taking big bales and also big straw bales.  We are all in the same boat - muddy fields, constant rain and no hay!!

Even if I found plenty of big bales to buy, its a case of where to store it!!!!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:30:04 am »
I am going through bedding for the stable like there is no tomorrow.  I don't remember using this much last year.  My pgymies don't like the mud or rain but seem happy in their pen outside as they have a good shelter (they are in the stable at night).  My pony hates the rain so am having to dash her in and out in between showers!

Will it ever stop?!?!

Helen

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:13 pm »
Can't remember the last time I bought hay,they've got that green stuff out there called grass ;)  I keep seeing the occasional horn sticking out amongst it somewhere ;D They are less likely to get ragwort poisoning if its not in the hay (heard someone on FB the other day who was going out ragwort pulling several acres so they could cut it for hay!!!!!!

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »
We've had more rain than usual but a lot less than most of you - my goats will only eat what I cut and carry to them so collecting fodder in the rain affects me more than them!  I have perfected the art of cutting nettles and giving them a good shake to get the water off.  They dry out quite quickly afterwards and the goats love them.

No shortage of nettles, docks, thistles etc but as for hay-making, I've not seen much evidence locally so I know it will be harder to find and more expensive for next winter.  I was lucky enough to get some lovely bright barley straw last year which my girls would rather eat than sleep on so I have one rack of hay and one of straw and as much green stuff as I can cut and carry.  I am currently using secateurs to trim 100ft of old hedge which was previously done by tractor - pre-goats, if I had been told it had to be cut like this I would have said it wasn't possible but it is amazing how a wheelbarrowful at a time is making a difference!

For harder hit areas, apart from a shortage of hay/straw I can see the price being hugely affected by delivery costs if ferried from the other end of the country.  Surely we must be due for a dry spell soon?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »
I know this is a right bore, but in between showers cut the nettles and hang em up. It is the most grim job in the world but when hung undercover they dry quickly and my goats love em.

I have just bought the last 15 small bales from my supplier, and am having to eke that out with nettle cos there isn't any more round here that I can find :-\

Hogweed though, we have tonnes of that and the girls LOVE it. I fill their one of their racks up with that and put hay/nettles in the other :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 09:12:47 pm »
Be careful with hawthorn.  My vet reckons that's what caused Cloud's absess.  Apparently hawthorn and blackthorn grow a fungus on the thorns.  He found out when he was stabbed by one and it became infected.  Just paid a large bill to put right the results of free food.

He should have known about blackthorn rheumatism as it's called, the end of the thorn brakes away and lodges in your flesh where it festers like a little wooden bullet. :(

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »
Oooh I can share a tip!!!

A tea made very strongly from blackthorn twigs is e very good drawing poultice!
So if you do get stuck by one (every other day for me ::) ) it really is a case of like cures like :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS