Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ill fated showing season  (Read 6077 times)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
Ill fated showing season
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:54:13 pm »
Having kept goats for many years (on and off) but never ventured into the showing world, I thought that maybe it was time to dip my toe in the water, so to speak.

1st show date dawned and I duly set about bathing our 2 goatlings only to find that one little darling had developed chorioptic mange - bless her little hairy socks!

2nd show is on Saturday and we have beautifully clean feet (thanks Katie for pointing me towards flowers of sulphur) but today I find the other goatling has decided that summer is here and has shed half a sack full of hair off her spine. Looks very threadbare and there is no way I can take her to a show.

Looks like I'll be giving the show next week a miss too - roll on August and fingers crossed that we manage at least one show this year  :fc:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Ill fated showing season
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »
Now you are really up against it because a lot of shows are cancelled through the bad weather. :wave:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »
I thought this was a thread about a lot of the shows being cancelled because of the weather!  Fingers crossed August is good for you.

Helen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:09:20 pm »
Yes, I have one (double) this Sunday, male and young stock only. Am making goat coats like mad, but I bet it will be cancelled on Saturday night....

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:27:00 pm »
Which show is that Anke?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:23 pm »
Northumbrian Male & Youngstock at Belford, just off the A1 in Northumberland. Not the most salubrious of show grounds being the council yard (with lots of old vehicles in there that I am not allowed to describe as junk.... :-J ), and no undercover area for goats at all... so we will see.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
o no!! poor goatys, these things are sent to test us! we had a sick goat at RHS (thankfully recovered a few days later), they are nothing if not a challange!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:13 pm »
Was that the one who spent a lot of time trying to eat you banner Mays? Looked as if it was having fun!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »
Showing this season will be wet I think  :wave:

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
Was that the one who spent a lot of time trying to eat you banner Mays? Looked as if it was having fun!!

ah no that was Candy  ;)  it was Daisy that got poorly. She went off her food all of a sudden. The vet was called who diagnosed with FeelingGrottyitis probably from the up and down tempertures in the tent. She had a high temp, but all her other signs were good except being off food and not cudding.
We went to the food hall and got the free yakults (finally a use for them!) and syringed her with them. That plus some drugs had her back to normal by the end of the show, now at home and blooming  ::)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:20:51 pm »
Do you think that yakult will fix my Feelinggrottyitis?   ;)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:41:23 am »
There is the Great Eccleston Show this weekend, goats on Sunday, if the weather picks up we might pop over for a look round.
I could do with a 'proper agricultural' show, with USEFUL stands with animals goods, not fluffy toys and sweeties  ::)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:58 am »

now at home and blooming  ::)

Glad Daisy's back to her usual self  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:16 am »
Do you think that yakult will fix my Feelinggrottyitis?   ;)

ok we can try, but I warn you, you may not be at all happy with my method of administration involving a tight grip & a huge syringe!

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:28 am »
This forum is getting decidedly kinky! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS