Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who's going to the Great Yorkshire Show ?  (Read 8959 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Who's going to the Great Yorkshire Show ?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »
(mind you, one year they had tractors on standby to drag people out).
Last year at Lesmahagow show (just a wee local show) they had tractors to pull folk in - that's die hard determination for you  :o :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D

It'll be fine  :fc: ;)

But did they let / get them out?  ;D

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 03:29:25 pm »
We've just been on the web-site to check because we'd heard rumours that they were going to cancel.
They've closed some of the Car-parks and want visitors to Park and Ride if they can. 
I've copied this from their Web-site.

Park and Ride: A new Park and Ride service will run from 1.5 miles south of Harrogate, at Plumpton Bar on the A661 Wetherby to Harrogate road. There will then be a free shuttle bus service to the showground.
Public transport:  Northern Rail has additional services into Harrogate, plus extra carriages. See: http://www.northernrail.org/journey/planner/
More free shuttle buses will run from Harrogate Railway Station in the centre of town to the showground.
Advice:
-       Please car share if at all possible
-       Please consider using public transport
-       Please remember this is an agricultural show, the weather has been very wet and choose appropriate footwear.
Gates open at 7.30am each day.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:31:13 pm by Snapper »

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 05:02:55 pm »
people get told a lot     and it is usually incorrect or without foundation       you have to be in it to win it

having the defeatist attitude before entering is possibly not the best starting point

try some of the smaller shows first to see how you and more importantly your stock get on :farmer:
LOL Robert..... I am never one to be 'told' i can't or shouldn't do something. I have entered the Midsomerset show this coming August and another one the 'Frome Cheese Show' in September.  Not one to be defeatest I am entering 5 classes and even if I come last, I am going to have a great time doing it.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:51 pm »
good on you you will enjoy yourself :farmer:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 09:47:07 pm »
 :trophy:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:24 am »
I've only just seen this thread - still catching up after jetlag from the trip up north and back!
Had a fabulous time, despite the weather. All the staff were great - very helpful and so friendly. They could teach the Royal Welsh people a thing or two!

Managed to park okay, but was a bit hairy getting out to go home on Wednesday. And the goat people didn't help by loading up their trailers and then buggering off for two hours for lunch, blocking the way for numerous exhibitors in the process!

Showing pigs was okay the first day, but by Wednesday (when the breed champs went in for the championships) it was a nightmare getting the pigs from A to B. Didn't help that the January-born pigs were penned in the furthest pens from the ring. Decided not to bother with the qualifier for Young Pig of the Year, even though two had qualified. It would have been impossible getting them across the long stretch from their pens, through thick mud, and into the ring. Not worth the hassle.

Another gripe, if I'm allowed one (!) is that the bars had a 10pm closing time - apparently because of some problems last year. I can understand the thinking behind it, but it just meant that lots of people went back to the trailer park and got hammered and extremely loud until the early hours!

Having said that, I really enjoyed my first experience of Yorkshire Show. Three firsts, two seconds, female champ, reserve male champ, and breed champ made up for all the hassle. Above all, though, I was really impressed with the organisation and the people employed by the show. Couldn't have had a warmer welcome.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:38 am »
Well done on all of your wins, despite the weather  :trophy:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 08:21:06 am »
we went with sheep, got 2x1st, a 2nd third ,2x4th and 5th plus reserve male.the sheep pens were fine but we had horses going in on the wednesday and the horse park was just dreadful. We were not released until 2 pm on the wednesday but couldnt get out of the lorry park until later.
Last year was sooo bad for noise at night. We witnessed a raid on a caravan at 4 am ,lots of big men just dived in and removed people and music machines,this year was so much better, we actually slept.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:35 am »
Glad to hear you all got a warm Yorkshire welcome. The Yorkshire show is the time of year when i get to meet up with piggy people from far and wide that under normal cuircumstances i wouldn't get to meet, because of other committments i wasn't going this time until the Thursday but unfortunately the weather intervened and that as they say is history, so sorry to have missed you all, i know i will catch up with some of you at the local shows here in Yorkshire over the summer.
Well done all of you on your rosettes.
All the best and we'll try again next year.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS