Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone thinking of cutting for hay  (Read 12599 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone thinking of cutting for hay
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »
Hubby came indoors at 1.30this morning having eventually finished the cutting in the pitch dark with only the lights from the tractor.    I think he kept going over the same bit without knowing it  :innocent: :innocent: .
TUT TUT Blinkers the poor man - you must have had the whip out again...
Glorious weather though - hope it last till the week-end.  When do you expect to bale.  Have you got your own baler or do you get some-one in.
These front fields (which he's teddin at the moment) are always big bale haylage cos its lovely meadow grass and so we get contractor in.   The other bit up the road we make small bale hay  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »
We started cutting today, but just doing the horse hay paddocks and leaving the sheep till later, as the weather window wont prob be long enough to get it all done and in.
Would have started early this morning but the hay mower needed a bit of attention from a hammer :-)))
So just doing one smallish paddock and one even smaller paddock for now, hopefully we will get it in, if we dont we still have the majority and if we do, fabtastic!
We are using 75hp John Deere (1976), hay mower is red and yellow cant remember the make, then a PZ haybob and a New Holland Superliner (very ancient) to bale. Bertha the baler is temperamental to say the least but we get there in the end altho I think OH gets fed up of baling the same saggy knicker elastic bale 4 times in the dark with only one tractor headlight.
Luckily our steading has a number of casual ventilation features (holes in roof) which mean hay dries really well as ventilation is so efficient! We just have to stack the hay away from the buckets catching the drips....

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »
Wish we could but the ground is still too squelchy and more rain forecast for the weekend.  :gloomy: :(
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:03 pm »
We are doing ours next week, will be good hay for sheep  :)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »
We managed to get some bits for the finger cutter  ;D ;D

So - I set off to do the rest of the field..... unfortunately had to keep stopping to get out of tractor to clear the grass mounding up on the outside edge of the cutter  >:(  And also to get under the tractor and cut the prop shaft free from wound up grass  >:( >:(  so a field of about 2 acres took approx 5 hours to cut!!! And my legs are knackered (CASE 695 is a big tractor to climb in and out of!) and my neck is stiff from having to look oer my right shoulder for 5 hours!

Anyhoo...... swapped to the hayzip (which OH rebuilt after we bought it for £50) and did 75% of the field (quickly  ;D ;D  ) BUT one of the struts on the hayzip broke  :(
So..... OH got the welder out and re-welded the strut and I finished spreading the field.

Did another 'woofle' through twice today and fingers crossed I'll do a couple more tomorrow and then bale wit our Bamford 58 on Fri....  :fc: :fc:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 09:14:42 pm »
Hay being made in Aberdeenshire this week  :thumbsup:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:10 pm »
Some of mine in the barn now and going to wait till after next weeks rain and get some big rounds in.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:21 pm »
well, baled it this afternoon, following 4 dry and sometimes cloudy days of turning and forcasts of rain tomorrow.... only for the forcast to have changed by the time we had baled  to.... SCORCHIO untill Sunday.  B******ds.  Worse than useless bloody weather forecasts .  Bales a bit damp, but for us only so have to see how they go. Hope others making better calls than me :fc: :fc:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 08:40:22 am »
Went out yesterday and bought in 10 big bale meadow hay. Lovely stuff and no rain or sprays.

The farmer is delivering it and stacking it in the barn.

£25 per bale delivered  £20 collected off field.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 03:24:00 pm »
We got in 35 small bales of lovely meadow hay and then a bolt sheared on the baler...and none of our spares fit. Rain was a comin so after a bit of effort to mend it we called up our lovely neighbour to do the main untouched field, it was all rowed up and ready to bale. As he finished the rain started. Bless him.
So that half a field produced 12 round bales of gorgeous meadow hay to add to the 35 small from the wee bit behind the hoose. The big fields we havent cut yet, they are for the sheep, but at least the horse hay is baled; added to the oat straw we buy in as pony fodder that will do them now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS