Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken dispatcher in Norfolk/Suffolk border  (Read 4741 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Chicken dispatcher in Norfolk/Suffolk border
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »
Hi everyone, we have some boys we need dispatching.  We had an arrangement with a friend who used to dispatch for a cake or a bird (if we had a few) but he has moved on.  Hubby said if he was shown how to do it properly he might do it in the future but until then is there anyone who could dispatch our boys and maybe show hubby how to do it in the future.  We have 4 x buff Orpingtons to go. 

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Chicken dispatcher in Norfolk/Suffolk border
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:58:31 pm »
If you don't have success for help there are courses on the Devon smallholders website for dispatch and dressing. Don't know how close this is for you but not as far away as I am   ;)

I only know because I've been googling such courses to learn this myself, unfortunately have found nothing around the northeast  :(

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
It's miles away - 6 hours plus drive  :-\ - the dressing is no probs, neither is the plucking, it's just THE DEED that we have to get our heads round.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:32:25 pm »
 :o  :o never been too good at geography but didn't expect anything near that. Try googling. There were a few down south may be one near you somewhere  :fc: wish I could find one. I know it in principle as read the procedures but just not confident doing it first time in case I bodge it  :-\ I really will feel happier being shown by an experienced person first  :fc:

Considering the amount of new smallholders and backyard poultry keepers I really thought there would be more courses for this important aspect of poultry keeping.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »
Loads of instructional vids on the net.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »
its not complicated, you pull its head of its neck. till its dead. use the youtube vids to inspire you! by the 4th one youll be doing it properly. pull hard and twist. youll feel it go. then wait while it flaps around due to the nerves.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:26:05 am »
by the 4th one youll be doing it properly.

The first 3 are currently trying to get to the back of the queue!!  :-J    I admire you for doing it DITW, I'm still too much of a wuss, luckily have a Dad whose dispatched more chickens than KFC, during the war years (apparently....)
Its a shame (and I am being serious here...) that they don't have a dummy bird that we can practise on first to get a feel for it? Bit like the old resus Annie doll I learnt to do CPR on or the pelvis we delivered 'babies' through in midwifery. It would be a good way to learn before practising on the real thing  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »
That's exactly what I need plums  :thumbsup: it's not the thought of doing the deed and I've watched the videos and read the books. I've a very good book with dispatch and dressing chapter.
It's the thought of trying to do it and not quite managing it correctly causing distress to the chook  :-\
Ill just wait until ther is somebody experienced with me before my first attempt.  :innocent:

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:55 am »
by the 4th one youll be doing it properly.

The first 3 are currently trying to get to the back of the queue!!  :-J    I

My sentiments exactly!  I want to get it right first time and a dummy chicken sounds perfect...now where have the dogs hidden the rubber one...... ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS