Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blowflies  (Read 9757 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Blowflies
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »
In the hills,
I have found the same as you. I was sitting watching them land on the sheep and take off again.  I think these are just ordinary flies. Mine certainly aren't horse flies as they are too small.
Blowflies are the big buzzy things or bluebottles I would call them. I haven't seen any of those on my sheep, thankgoodness
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 05:29:09 pm »
Sheep have a smell unto themselves. I can smell it when I am spinning but don't actually dislike it.
Maybe I am just strange

Don't all rush to agree  ;D ;D

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:38 pm »
yellow dung flies possibly?  In the below link it says they lay their eggs in sheep poo - there are certainly alot around here at the moment

http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/nature/pictures/large-insects.asp?pic=151

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »
Mmmmmmm what a lovely picture  ;D   not sure I'd like my sheep's poo to look like that though!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »
Well I can't say that I have seen my flies up that close so its difficult to tell. 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »
Mmmmm  ...... thanks all. Not sure.

I'm guessing that they are not Horse Flies - don't look big enough. Thank goodness.

Dung flies - possibly. Look more brown than yellow though.  ???

Not blow flies because not green and not buzzy.  ;D

You don't mean Plums that you actually try to wash off that wonderful sheepie aroma. How about sheepie smelling soap. Lovely.
 Bionic - not wierd at all.  ;D  Will have to put spinning on my list of things to do.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »
Hi Plumbs,

You could use some Tea Tree oil in water to spray onto the sheep, that should deter flies.

Philip :sheep:
I have used this in the past effectively.....Gold Label do an equine one with MSN which is also good for sheep. My other absolute fave is Barrier Blowfly Repel.  I use it on my wrists and ankles to keep the horseflies and mozzies awayu. Totally natural too and smells gert-lush!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »
The other thing some people use is the Garlic granules which they sell to put in horses feed, the only problem is the sheep start to stink!!!

I don't know how to break this to you, Philip - but most folks think sheep stink in the first place...   ;) :D

:bouquet: :sheep: :love:
Gasp. Sally..... sheep???? STINK?????? LOL. I absolutely love, love, love that lanolin mixed with sheep poo smell that I seem to wear as a scent most days.  :thumbsup:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:05 am »
They have been treated with Crovect.

We have a ewe lamb, Stacey, who was very badly struck a few weeks back and lost about a quarter of her fleece.  She has been kept close to home while she recovers, and the new pink skin is now fuzzing up.   All the others were treated with Clik and remain clear, but because we've been handling Stacey daily and had had about a quart of Crovect to hit the original infestation we thought she'd be OK.  Not so.  Struck again on saturday, but no damage done because we saw it really early. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 08:01:34 am »
Maybe some sheep are more susceptable to it than others. Like people with mozzie bites.
Just a thought

Sally

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:25 am »
There's certainly a body of opinion that supports that idea.  My point though was that Crovect is not a good preventative while Clik is because it binds to the fleece

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58:35 am »
Crovect will wash off if it's very wet weather.  I don't know about Clik.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »
Clik bonds to the oils in the wool so unless you then spray thenm with Fairly Liquid it should stay effective through foul weather.  But it's also the reason why you're advised not to handle them for 10 weeks (or whatever) after dosing.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 04:53:13 pm »
Maybe some sheep are more susceptable to it than others. Like people with mozzie bites.
Just a thought

Sally
My shearer tells me that one of my ewes is more susceptible than others to strike as she has a very greasy back.....loads of lanolin and as giant super thick fleece... which I guess makes her also more prone to essentially getting cast!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS