Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recent forum shenanigans  (Read 15954 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Recent forum shenanigans
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »
Hello everyone

Recently we have had a small number of 'fallings out' on the forum, and I wanted to post something to give a perspective from Rosemary and I, as creators and curators of TAS.

(Many of you will have absolutely no idea what I'm going on about - I'm referring to a tiny percentage of the activity on here that for one reason or another becomes tense or fractious - the vast majority of activity is helpful, supportive, smallholding-related discussion, with banter and personal goings-on in the Coffee Lounge.)

We see TAS as an extension of our home and our smallholding, even though it's grown well beyond what we ever imagined it might. And we see you all in some small way as guests in our home, and although we can't read or participate in every thread (although Rosemary seems to try sometimes  :D ) we have an emotional and personal investment in everything that goes on here. You can dismiss that as twee and sentimental if you wish, but it's our truth.

We try to be even-handed and fair in our moderation of the forum, and sometimes that means biting of tongues, turning a blind eye, and trying to interpret what people were trying to say when they posted that. As has been said many times before on here, email and other electronic communications are inadequate for expressing the range of emotions we all feel (even me  ;) ) and misunderstandings are inevitable. Fallings out happen. What really pees me off (and upsets the boss) is when members treat TAS as a channel for personal grievances, belittle others, or show no respect to members (including us).

It is perfectly possible to help people without being patronising, initmidating, controversial or aggressive, it just takes a little thought and communication. To trot out some more hackneyed phrases, no one was born knowing this stuff, and the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.  :)

We love having you all here and would hate to lose anyone else. What we really, really want is for everyone to pause for thought before posting anything personal, aggressive, or deliberately provocative, and ask themselves whether they would behave that way in person, in a social gathering, in someone else's house. If the answer's 'no' then please don't post it.

Thanks,

Dan

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Recent forum shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »
can we have a smilie ' take my hat off to you '  :eyelashes:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:43:38 pm »
Well said that man  :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:46:00 pm »
 :love: :love:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:48:20 pm »
I get back from a week away and you've all gone mad.

Its a forum, people argue, people move on...

This is the least hostile friendliest forum i belong to, and i belong to several...

Please all be nice my head hurts just reading through the stuff i missed...

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »
Thank you Dan, very nicely put.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »
But can i still have a hanging tree ? Please !
If not a pole , as mentioned by Robert , for the placement of loose heads will do .
Seriously though , everyone should be like me , sweetness and light ,gentle and inoffensive , oh and always right !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:19:17 pm »
As ever, Dan and Rosemary, I am in awe of all that you do and how intelligently and sensitively you moderate this forum.

You know already what a valuable resource I think it is, and how grateful I am to you for your energy and commitment in running it.

:bouquet: :bouquet:  :trophy:   :trophy:    :notworthy:   :notworthy:   :-* :-* :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
I think you do an amazing job running the forum - it can't be easy at all. I hate confrontations  they make me do this -  :sofa: 

Russ behave  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »
But Plums , i always do !

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 02:49:21 pm »
I think it's great the way the forum is run, and am amazed how the number of members have grown. :)
 I try to keep my head done and just give snippets of advise when I can to help the ones who need it. We all have to learn at some stage and there will always be difference of opinions, please keep it lighthearted. :thumbsup:

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »
It's been a bit like family falling out and not nice :( :(

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »
Well said that man. As a rule, this forum is exceptional in the quality of its members and mods. And remember, there's nothing more pointless than an internet argument.  ;D

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »
I love being a guest in your house  ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS