Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Earwigs?  (Read 2607 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Earwigs?
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »
Wasn't sure whether to put this in 'wildlife' or not ..

Anyone else seeing hundreds of these things all of a sudden? They are all coming into the house in their droves. Am feeding them to the chickens....
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

robert waddell

Re: Earwigs?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:28 pm »
they like the damp weather ;) :farmer:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »
Well I wish they'd stay out in it and not keep coming in my house Robert  ;D   so many of them, ewwwwww. Was at school just now and one fell out of my coat sleeve!! I squeaked and flapped. Now no-one will stand and talk to me  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »
Well I wish they'd stay out in it and not keep coming in my house Robert  ;D   so many of them, ewwwwww. Was at school just now and one fell out of my coat sleeve!! I squeaked and flapped. Now no-one will stand and talk to me  ::)
Sorry Lisa but that just made me hoot!   ;D ;D ;D

You get the odd plague of earwigs; I had one such once, they stripped all my plants (especially two new clematis plants  >:() but the year after they reverted to normal proportions.  They're normally the gardeners' friend, my gardener friend tells me, as they eat aphids.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:03 pm »
Earwigs are the most wonderful wee things.   Did you know that the mothers carefully lick their eggs clean every day when they turn them, to stop them getting mould on, and look after their young most diligently?  If the eggs or young get scattered they will track them down and bring them back together. And they only nip you if you upset them  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
Ahhh poor little earwigs. they get a bad press don't they.

We used to have them in the house back in Shefield. This post has just made me realise I haven't seen a single earwig here in Wales!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:48:42 pm »
They may be wonderful wee things but I wouldn't want an influx of them in my house.  Keep feedng them to the chooks, Lisa.  they'll appreciate it and word might get about that yours in not an earwig friendly house.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:11:01 am »
Ahhh poor little earwigs. they get a bad press don't they.

We used to have them in the house back in Shefield. This post has just made me realise I haven't seen a single earwig here in Wales!!

I'm off to the post office today, would you like some sent first class mail? seriously...its no bother....

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:17:33 am »
I was plagued by earwigs in the polytunnel but I made rings of salt around the inside edge, round the raised beds and even sprinkled salt on the tables before putting seed trays  on them. I have not seen one yet! My poly looks like something from a voodoo film but it worked, for slugs as well.
I am now going to go in the poly and find zillions of earwigs! ::)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:13 am »
Can't remember the last time I saw one (probably have a plague now  :D)

Don't think I'd want one in my coat sleeve though, however interesting they are  :D

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:34:42 am »
Thanks plumseverywhere, I'll pass on that one. Only native species are encouraged here. Maybe 1200 ft is too high for earwigs. hedgehogs are another species we haven't seen!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:15:57 am »
hedgehogs are another species we haven't seen!

Well I will gladly send you ours.  Little be**ars take our chicks!  I've stopped helping the hedgepigs therefore, but don't have the heart to be actively discouraging...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:38:32 am »
No, no hedgepigs either. Some friends have them about half an hour away, but none here. Mind you, they'd need snorkels here  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:55:58 am »
Ah my Grandmother made a wonderful jog-jog stew.....we never see hedgehogs round here either funnily enough...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS