Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormer  (Read 3133 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Wormer
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »
What wormer do you use?  We were advised to use one but it's in a big tub and costs £90!  We obviously don't need that much for 2 pygmy goats. 

What brand should I be looking for? 

Thanks
Helen

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Wormer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:19:51 pm »
Helen,
I recently had a thread in sheep about the cost of wormers when you only have a few animals. It seems that some vets will sell you as few doses as you need so it might be worth you investigating that angle.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:27:49 pm »
Dont forget , goats need  between 1.5  to 2 times the dose of a sheep. your vet will know.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »
I've alternated onto Noramec (clear) and have treated tapeworm with panacur (white). If they have long expiry dates on you can keep them or share a bottle with someone else local who only has a few?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:47:50 pm by plumseverywhere »
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:43:47 pm »
Thanks all.  Reading a bit more and it appears I can do a faecal egg count?  I do caecal egg counts on grouse (for my job) and have done a faecal egg count on my pony in the past.

The main worry, is that you can't tell incidence of tape worm.  Would this be a problem?

Helen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:09:41 pm »
Thanks all.  Reading a bit more and it appears I can do a faecal egg count?  I do caecal egg counts on grouse (for my job) and have done a faecal egg count on my pony in the past.

The main worry, is that you can't tell incidence of tape worm.  Would this be a problem?

Helen

If they have a tapeworm you will see it.... segments will come out and are clearly identifyable. The treat with 2x sheep dose of panacur, probably twice. see earlier thread started by Plumseverywhere. I think tapeworm in goats is quite rare (but I had it on one of my nannies :o )

I would do a worm count first to see if you need to worm. Panacur is quite cheap and would probably be your first choice. Then re-do worm count after 10 days to check for resistance. If needed second choice would be Ivermectin based wormer, again 1.5 to 2 x sheep dose. If you have a sheep farmer nearby you could ask to buy some off him in a smallish bottle, but I find for example Oramec comes in a small enough bottle and with a long expiry date. Just say in the merchants that you buy it for sheep, some of them may refuse to sell it to you if you say it's for goats (no wormers are licensed for goats and they could insist that you go and get a prescription from the vet etc etc...)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS