Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you do about the cost of wormers?  (Read 10088 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What do you do about the cost of wormers?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »
Thank you for that link about wormer resistance Jaykay.  It is the clearest description I have read to date (apart from the slight annoyment that the author can't spell strategy  :innocent: )   I found it much clearer than the Scops explanation.
It would be worth putting the link in the TAS library, don't you think, so everyone can read it?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:25:17 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »
We have a library?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:15 pm »
Library? ???   Another thing I have missed - where please?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:03 pm »
I have kept and used heptavac for several weeks but always used in that season then discard remains.  Wouldn't re-use the following year as it is a live vaccine I think.

Vets normally split routine wormers but not all types.

Regarding dates, might be slightly different, but I know of a welfare case near me where pigs were taken into Defra care and then destroyed because they had been given out of date vaccines.  They were otherwise healthy and no reason to kill.

Obviously it would only be an issue if you owned up to giving obsolete meds or put it on slaughter form but I would be careful.  Some react adversely if mixed with water also (can't remember which it was I used).  Just need to take care on how it looks before administering.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »
Um...wonder how many people have leftover Heptavac in their fridges?
The farmer told us to just keep it and re-use.
Bad idea?
J x
The expiry date on the bottle is 10 hours from first use.  This makes is very expensive so we draw off what we need in one go for the first session through one needle, cling film the top and straight back into the fridge.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 10:55:20 pm »
We have a library?

Um I think Dan and Rosemary are putting together useful bits all in one place for reference, or they are intending to, or something ...?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:00 pm »
You need to befriend a local sheep farmer and get him/her to give or sell you some wormer that he has left. We always offer stuff to our neighbours with a few sheep if we have hep vac or wormers left that will be out of date soon. Hep vac we have never used after 12 hours of opening. 

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 12:14:49 am »
Hi,
You must have heard me thinking about this very subject today when I was cruising up and down the hills on the tractor moving sheep!

I was just trying to weigh up the costs etc of setting up this year with some of my own sheep and was wondering whether people share their heptavac/wormer on here?

My O/H is a vet nurse (very handy lol) and I've got her a few to ask the vets tomorrow whether they do open products and sell single or small numbers of doses for the smaller flock etc?

Worth a try I suppose!

If not I would be willing to help out anyone local to me rather than throw it away.  I wouldn't risk using out of date stuff as your perfectly healthy animals will be sent to slaughter and you could end up being fined or even banned from keeping animals, I don't fancy the risk thanks!

Really pleased with this website it's very impressive when it comes to pooling resources and knowledge.

Tim
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:38 am »
Most wormers have quite a long shelf life so I haven't needed to split them. Heptavac does a 25 dose size I think, I started with 15 sheep and thats what I used.

I dont think animal health will make you destroy animals for using out of date medicines unless you are daft enough to have logged that thats what you did....

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 01:03:13 am »
There are only five groups of wormers, and three of those groups are heavily compromised.  In some areas a significant proportion of worms are resistant to treatment, and there are no new chemical treatments in sight.  Without effective antithelmic drugs everything changes.

There are other approaches to worm management but they don't allow for intensive production.  Sheep and Cows  share the same worms but Horses have a different set.  This year's eggs turn into next year's worms, but if the right host animal isn't there then the cycle is broken.  So swapping sheep for horses each year, or growing hay instead of grazing will achieve a good result, but at a cost.

This is why it's important to get worming right, and that means knowing what it is your trying to kill and using the right tools in the right way.

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS