Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tics and Lymes Disease...  (Read 9087 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Tics and Lymes Disease...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 07:24:18 pm »
Yep, just had a look at my tick remover. It's the same as yours FiB. It goes under the body and definitely says to twist. Seem to remember that you did't twist much though and the little devils soon popped off .

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »
I was bitten by ticks when expecting my first baby. A little girl, who we lost when I was 6 months pregnant. I was tested for Lymes and although the test was negative, I was told that ticks could potentially carry many diseases/bacteria that could affect the unborn baby. Nothing could be proved conclusively but it has made us very aware of possible complications of being bitten. Perhaps better to be safe than sorry and to follow the safety advice ..... easy to dismiss if you are outdoor type people.

Thanks FiB.

So sorry to read this In the hills  :(   My husband found a tic on me after we'd been out walking when I was heavily pregnant with Milli, my eldest. I told him off at the time for being "a panic merchant" but having read what you have said here, I was far too complacent - and very lucky, it seems xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »
That's very sad ITH  :-* It's frightening isn't it  :-\

Definitely the best advice is not to get them in the first place, since by the time you're removing them the damage could be done  :P

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
Thank you both and sorry that you have it Jaykay.

Good that there now seems to be more publicity about it and that FiB's son was treated. 

Bill the brew

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 11:57:23 pm »
I am worried too, my three get the odd tick and I take them off as quick as possible but never really thought about illness even though I do know about it!!

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »
I know this thread is from last month but as we've just come back from Exmoor and my OH had a tick on his leg this morning (been there all night, yuk) I thought I'd add a UK link for tweezers and a helpful web site.

http://www.bada-uk.org/products/tickremover.php

http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/what-is-a-tick.html

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
I have the remover from your first link.

I was on Exmoor when I found 3 ticks on my leg and on a different visit there, my 2 year old daughter was bitten on her chin ...... she was wearing one of those waterproof all in one suits, with the hood up! Hardly any exposed skin.

On our visit there last spring our dog was constantly covered in the things.

Obviously a tick hot spot.  >:(   Revolting things.

Hope your OH is okay.   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 10:37:05 am »
Not only is Exmoor a tick hotspot, I'm told it's now a Lyme disease hotspot.  It is thought that most of the working collies there have Lyme Disease.

So if you got a tick bite in Exmoor, I'd get yourself off the doctor and get the antibiotics.  Pronto.

And to avoid the little blighters (for those who won't read all those good links), DON'T walk through bracken in sheep or deer country (this means don't walk in bracken on Exmoor), wear long trousers and sleeves, tuck your trousers into your socks, and when you get home, get stripped off and showered and inspect yourself thoroughly.  They like moist warm places, so I mean thoroughly and it'll need a mirror (or a helper) and a lack of inhibition!  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »
Just making folks aware  :thinking:

Just had my Hubbie to doc, he has Lymes Disease, hopefully we have caught it in time!

It's just one thing after another :-[
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »
Goodness me! He has the worst luck! What a shame! I hope they can dose him up and get the infection cleared and is on the mend soon.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18:14 pm »
Just making folks aware  :thinking:

Just had my Hubbie to doc, he has Lymes Disease, hopefully we have caught it in time!

It's just one thing after another :-[

:hug:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 07:14:38 am »
Nasty, wishing him a quick clearance of the disease.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 10:13:34 am »
Hope he's OK mc,
Stroking cat recently felt a lump, thas what I thought it was till I looked closer.
Luckily had still had a remover from years ago.
He goes hunting in neighbours sheep field/barn
Nasty.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS