Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello fellow members  (Read 4591 times)

Jay C

• Joined Apr 2009
  • BARROW-UPON-HUMBER
  • http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/index.php
Hello fellow members
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:11:31 am »
Hi everybody
My name Jay,35 and from Barrow Upon Humber, North Lincolnshire.
I enjoy pest control and bringing my game to the table and now looking to grow our own veg, salad and egg's from birds which we still need to get.

I'm new to everything.. :-[
Just bought a new 6x8 greenhouse and in with the deal a 6 bird coop 8)

Well i'll be bending some of your ears no doubt but if my time on a another forum is anything to go by then i enjoy answering question and even better answering questions iv'e learned myself from the same forum ;) but ill leave the ear bending to a later thread ;D

Looking forward to a warm welcome and meeting people alike  :)
virgin to the green fingers world.. new 6x8 greenhouse
virgin to the Chicken owning world
and a keen pest controller and target shooting.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hello fellow members
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:18 am »
Morning and welcome Jay. What type of birds is it you are going to get? The birds I have are ducks and geese but on Friday this week I am rescuing a chicken so will probably get another 2/3 hens.

Although none of them are for eating!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:26:19 am by jameslindsay »

swalemum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:00:20 am »
hi there

we have 20 acres in England, sold the farm with 70 acres and moved to the other house which was on the same farm.

We have sheep too, 36 ewes and lambing now just as you do, just got up to 58 lambs with 3 to go. We never lamb inside and have only brought one in because one of her lambs was weak and it had turned cold and wet. They simply move from one field to the next 24 hours after lambing and it has always worked a treat. We dont get as much at the market for them because they are later, Aug or Sept but then we dont feed them any bucket feed so we save there.

How on earth did you manage to post on the introduce yourself forum, i can only see how to reply!!   ::)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:03:28 am »

How on earth did you manage to post on the introduce yourself forum, i can only see how to reply!! 

At the top of the box you should see "new topic" - hit that and thats how you start a new thread. Good luck

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:37:57 am »
Hi and welcome
When you say pest control, is that pigeons, rabbits etc?  and what methods?  Do you have Birds of Prey?  I have Brittanys which are kept for working with BoPs by a number of falconers.  Mine are shot over though.
I have ducks and hens too.  Central Scotland.  Could do with a bit moer land though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jay C

• Joined Apr 2009
  • BARROW-UPON-HUMBER
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:04:46 pm »
Hi and welcome
When you say pest control, is that pigeons, rabbits etc?  and what methods?  Do you have Birds of Prey?  I have Brittanys which are kept for working with BoPs by a number of falconers.  Mine are shot over though.
I have ducks and hens too.  Central Scotland.  Could do with a bit moer land though.

yes rabbits and woodies are my main sport using a AIR ARMS S200.22 for night work with a NV riflescope and day work and target shooting with a AIR ARMS S200 .177.
Both rifles are really easy to maintain and use and getting them set up to just how i like them makes them even better 8)

Only take what i use for the pot and also if the land owners want any then there's some for them ;)

Jay C

• Joined Apr 2009
  • BARROW-UPON-HUMBER
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:33 pm »
Morning and welcome Jay. What type of birds is it you are going to get? The birds I have are ducks and geese but on Friday this week I am rescuing a chicken so will probably get another 2/3 hens.

Although none of them are for eating!
Hi there James,

I'm not 100% sure as yet but iv'e been pointed in the way of Black Rocks for a first timer and which i'm told they give good results..! :chook:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:50:43 pm »
Hi and welcome. You won't go wrong with Black Rocks. They are very hardy. Alternatively, any of the first cross hybrids are pretty good if they are a strain bred for outdoors rather than cages.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:52 pm »
Hi and welcome.  Pigs next. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS