Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chillie Peppers.  (Read 8657 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Chillie Peppers.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:52:50 am »
That is a beautiful crop Bodger  :sunshine:

My crop of chillies wasn't bad this year, considering I forgot about them and they were mostly left in 2 1/2" pots  :D   The ones I planted out in the greenhouse got spider mite but have cropped fine.  In previous years I have grown them in the soil in the polytunnel, on the south-facing side, as they need loads of sun to develop their full flavour and here in the south of Scotland they have done amazingly well.

I mostly use them in chutney, which we like hot, and stews and soup which we prefer well flavoured but not too hot.

This year I wrote labels for each plant with the expected heat as well as the variety as I knew I wouldn't remember which were hot when it came round to harvest.  I grew types from very mild through to pretty hot, but not the real scorchers which to us would be inedible - and would take too long to grow up here.

I always compete with my youngest son who lives in the south of England and always has better chillies than I do  :chili: :chili: :chili: .  He swaps them with friends for other veg which he doesn't have room to grow.  He also swaps many of the fish he catches for other game such as pheasant.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »
My chillies are in their third year now, and i have had the biggest crop yet and they are still flowering! 

Mel

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 03:57:27 pm »
I dry what is left, Can't sell runners beans much on my stall, but the chillies sell out @ £1.00 for 5! This year I have made Jelly and chutney, I grew some Naga and scorpions- in amongst several other varieties.

The Nagas were huge so I have Nage / Scorpion chilli jelly/preserve and it is insane/lethal :o, I cannot eat it however, a courier from Essex regularly delivers and buys 20 jars at £5.00 per lb jar at a time  :thumbsup:

I have no idea how he eats it as I feel it is akin to nitromors ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 05:16:13 pm »
Great. Thanks Mel. I was just about to post asking for best varieties as we are going to start with some in the PT next year.  :thumbsup: :fc: :excited:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS