Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No Holding number or ear tags  (Read 4365 times)

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
No Holding number or ear tags
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »
Hi, just phoned a seller about some goats he has advertised only to discover he has no holding number and no ear tags ::) , now I keep everything very much in line with rules and regulations so if I wanted to buy these how do I go about it ?
Regards Ann

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: No Holding number or ear tags
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:02 pm »
Don't know anything about goats other than they're quite cute but if it were pigs or any other livestock i wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole and i'd consider reporting to trading standards/RPA/AH.
sorry can't be more help
Mandy :pig:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:38 pm »
Just a thought Ann, but if he has no holding number or tags then how seriously has he taken the health status of the goats? are they CAE tested? vaccinated? wormed?  I'd be worried about just how much you could be taking on if you did go ahead.
Not sure how you could legally do this unless he picks up the phone and gets himself a holding number and some tags, after all that's all it takes!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »
I would be tempted not to have any more to do with them. But, if you are keen on them, tell the seller to contact animal health to ask them what he should do with no eartags etc. He shouldn't be trying to sell them without at least doing something about it. Where did the goats come from? If he bred them, then he probably has other ones as well, and they all need eartags as well. If he hasn't had them long, then where did they come from? Why did that place not have them tagged? It all sounds a bit odd to me.

Let us know how it goes.
Beth

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »
Hi, it appears he has had them for quite some time as he has bred them and has this year and last years kids ::) , he has 9 in total but only wants to sell 7. I'm gonna give this one a miss.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »
It would appear then, that as he has bred the goats himself (or most of them?) he would not have any movement forms or anything, so basically these goats are not on the system.Its amazing how many people have livestock, but do not know they need holding numbers or ear tags.
Quite a few of the rescue goats I have, had no tags.  I refused to take the goats until they were tagged, and a holding number supplied.  I have to say, that I did have my suspicions about whose holding number and tags one person provided......but  as I wanted to get the goats out of the hell hole that was their home,I  did not take it further.
Its up to the seller to obtain the relevant tags and movement forms etc. 

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:00:33 am »
To 'trying'    You could of course, contact Animal Health anywayfor the sake of the goats.
Say you have been offered these goats but the vendor doesn't have a holding number how do you deal with this issue.   Give them the name /telephone number/any other details and let them deal with it.
Tey wont say where they got the info....anybody could have given it......... spot checks are carried out where livestock is believed to be kept without the relevant documentation.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:13:51 am »
Dont buy them , just report them to animal health and trading standards, the CAE is a big issue as well as the general health of the animals you would be introducing to your holding.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:08 am »
Will they take the goats off this person?  I can see the point, they are breaking the law etc.....but I do not like reporting people.  Maybe suggest to the selller that he needs a holding number and ear tags, and see if he does get things sorted?  I do believe people genuinly do not know - they just assume they can keep livestock in their garden, paddock etc.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:57:50 am »
Its not the "nice" people who "aquired" the pygmy is it?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »
without tags or a holding number how do you know they are not stolen. i would not touch them just to be safe.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 04:30:51 pm »
Yep, I would leave well alone... it is up to you if you think that reporting this person to AH/DEFRA is necessary or not....
PS.: If they are stolen you may get into trouble for handling stolen goods.... and you couldn't prove that you bought them in good faith if they have no ear tags etc etc...
Disease is another issue, not just CAE, but also Johnes for example.

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
Hi, :wave: thank you all for your advice, I would not move anything on to my place without a movement licence etc and I did advise him to get a holding number and tags but was not sure if he would get into trouble or not, he did sound very genuine but I am no longer interested in the goats anyway.
Thanks again Ann

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS