Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing goats - whats CAE  (Read 10239 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Showing goats - whats CAE
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »
Hi all, I was thinking of bringing along a couple of our pygmy goats to the Border Union Show, one of which I would like to show in the any other variety class (she's a goatling not yet born a kid).  I'm a bit nervous and haven't yet decided that I'm going to do it but the entry form has to go in by Monday.  A couple of questions:
There is a clause in the info that says they will need proof of CAE - what is that? and can I bring along her pygmy friend just for company as it will be her first time too?
Thanks in advance.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chickenfeed

Re: Showing goats - whats CAE
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »
its caprine arthritis encephalitis the vets will test the whole herd by means of a blood test you will then get a certificate that will last a year each show will require a copy of the certificate.

is the goat section for pygmy's or is it a dairy goat show
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:45:39 pm by chickenfeed »

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »
I was told one test every 6mnths for the first three tests then yearly after that

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »
i cant recall that but its been a long time since we started testing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14:20 am »
its caprine arthritis encephalitis the vets will test the whole herd by means of a blood test you will then get a certificate that will last a year each show will require a copy of the certificate.

is the goat section for pygmy's or is it a dairy goat show

Thanks I haven't even heard of that.  That does it then, I think I'll have to do it next year and be a bit more organised in advance. 
I called the showground about the milking goats / pygmy thing and they said I could enter in the any other variety if I wanted.  I think these shows are quite happy to accept minority breeds as it adds to the attraction.

You don't seem to need any certification for sheep although you have to treat them for sheep scab a couple of weeks beforehand.

Thanks all.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:55:23 am »
the sheep are classed as MV accredited and non MV depending on thier flock status seperate living areas and show rings for the 2 types

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 12:29:20 pm »
yes thanks chickenfeed, we were also thinking of entering some in the non-MV which were beautiful before shearing but look a bit scruffy now so thinking again...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »
Pygmies...a minority breed!?!!!!! Put in a search for goats for sale on google and all you can find is Pygmy goats! ;)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »
Whole herd testing for CAE is an annual test.     The 6mths etc  is for a monitored herd which brings a whole host of restrictions with it....like buying in stock from a similar herd only.
90% of goat owners do the whole herd test.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
Jinglejoys - I gather that but no-one shows them in Kelso!

Wystend - thanks for that, what is the best time to do this test or does it matter?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »
Normally do it just before kidding so that the mum's test result covers her kid(s) too for the year, so if something should go wrong at birth you don't need to get the kids done individually.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »
thanks plums, I'll write that down in my book.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »
I would say a lot of folks do it around March April to cover the show season........kids do not need to be done until 12 months old.
There is  special rate negotiated by BGS for the blood samples to be sent to SAC for analysis.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »
The funy thing is that CAE is mainly transmitted through the feeding of pooled milk to kids. This used to be done at shows, and therefore CAE can (and as far as I know actually did) spread like wildfire. As actual disease is not seen for a few years, and in-between new kids are born, infected etc etc the feeding of pooled milk is not allowed at shows anymore. The test (and therefore showing of only clear goats) is actually quite important.

I do mine just in February (or about 6 weeks prior to the first one kidding), and kids travel on "mum's passport" for the first year, then have to be done as goatlings. Until this year I have always brought the goats to the vets, who then only charge the fee for taking bloddsamples - we normally just take the goats out one at a time from the trailer in the car park, much to the amusement of any other visitors  :)  - but now I have too many and the vet comes here.

I cannot quite see where the CAE test for pygmies comes in, as they are actually not in the milking competition and kids are usually not bottled anyway...

If you would bring them along to BUAS you would be the star of the goat tent I bet! :thumbsup:

I will be there with most of my gang ..., come and say hello!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »
Thanks Wystend and Anke.  Will say hello Anke and I'll maybe corner someone in authority about bringing the pygmies next year and the CAE test.  They are always a good talking point - they look like little devils, weird looking but great fun - they keep all our sheep in line and the border collie who they have no qualms in head butting and pinning her up against a tree.  They're small but NOBODY messes...

We're supposed to be getting 2 bagots later this year too but I'm struggling to house them as we are having major (really major) re-landscaping done on a grand scale at the moment, but will try and get my head around a temporary house rather than lose them.  We're having to house our pygmies in with our NRs and soays which isn't ideal as we have to feed them shut in their house because of the minerals / toxic problem to NRs and the pygmies will share their house with NO-ONE!

The bagots would be fun to bring too, it's just nice to let people see a variety of animals (not that pygmies or bagots could upstage a gorgeously groomed ginger of course!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS