Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will my 6 week old chicks be ok!  (Read 3129 times)

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
Will my 6 week old chicks be ok!
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:59:54 pm »
I've got 15 6 week old chicks and I wondered if I put them in the dog cage  (which is part of their tattie box house at the moment) then put them in the large area where my hens are would they be ok and would they go back into the dog cage at night so I can bring them back into the shed? There isnt a cockeral in the hens pen. :-\
Any advice would be great, thanks.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Will my 6 week old chicks be ok!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:27:58 pm »
Not a chance Oneeyedhen. Firstly they will be attacked by the hens. Secondly, those that survive will find somewhere warm and safe rather than a draughty cage.

They need their own coop and run until they are laying, then you can better integrate them.

We faced the same problem and I had to build a small coop and run every week for 4 weeks, then two large coops and runs for hens and cockerels.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:37 pm »
You could put a large dog cage out with a snuggy warm box in it for shelter .Take the base out of the bottom of the cage so that they can peck about a bit.  But are the holes small enough to keep them in?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:52 am »
I agree about  not putting them in with the older hens ..... a dog crate is fine, I have my broody hens and checks in a large one, and so far none have escaped via the bars of the crate, not even the banties.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:04:08 am »
I keep my chicks in a run with mum until they are a safe size then let them out with mum. she takes them in to the hen house at night and looks after them so the other hens get used to seeing them. I hve never had any bother doing it this way.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:41:25 am »
Thanks for your replies. They are too big now to get through the spaces in the dog cage now and i was thinking of covering it and making it a cozy place. But after your advice I think I'll leave them where they are for now. 4 of the girls will have new homes to go to at some piont and i had wondered about keeping the boys in as most of them are destined to be roast chicken!
I might put the girls we're keeping in the dog cage, in the hens pen to help introduce them and to let them get some sunshine, if we ever get any again ::) . If that sounds like a better idea?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:54 pm »
Yes, that's a better idea - just a couple of pecks from an older hen can wipe them out so you do have to be super careful.  They will be picked on when they eventually come out so they must be robust - it's tempting when they get bored to do something about it but you do have to be cautious - they'll forget all about their 'cell' experience a couple of weeks after getting out and about.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »
Thanks goosepimple. I was wondering about them getting board but they have got perches and logs to sit on and I put in some grass and wheat for them to pick at each day so hopefully they will stay happy :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS