Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and rain  (Read 3123 times)

Northlands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Great Ouseburn
Goats and rain
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:57:25 pm »
I thought goats didnt like rain, however mine seem to be outside in it quite often and they are soaked to the skin!!  They have a shed they can go in complete with hay.  I was just wondering if the goats getting wet will have any detrimental effects on them?

Thanks
Michael

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats and rain
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »
Are they happy to be outside? Mine will "tell" of their dissatisfaction with the management (or more likely the "staff these days..") as soon as it starts to rain....

If they are happy to go into their shelter at other times I wouldn't worry too much, but it maybe that they do not like it or are fearful of it.

If they get really wet and it is also a cold wind they can get chilled. Goats do not have lanolin like sheep in their coat so get wet through to the skin quite quickly...

Northlands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Great Ouseburn
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:34 pm »
Yes they go in their shelter at other times, most of the time they are just outside grazing in the rain and don't seem to mind! 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:24 am »
I find mine often stay out in a 'gentle' rain even though they are quite wet, but heavier drops they either come tothe gate (and yell for 'mum') or head for their shelter, depending which field they are in.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:21:05 am »
Mine are fine in a drizzle of rain, they head straight indoors in a downpour though. They LURVE snow  :love:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:57 am »
Mine are the same Plums  :D

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:55 pm »
Mine couldn't care less.Once I had a couple of borders and when it rained they would charge in (as they'd been "trained" to do by their owner) of coarse my lot would charge in after them from the top field,get in and wonder what all the fuss was about.After a few sessions of this they'd say "sod this for a game of......!" and  ignore the twats.Eventually the two goats got fed up of rushing down to the barn by themselves looking stupid while the others carried on stuffing their faces and learnt to do the same ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »
While Pom is in the house being milked, Curry and Cloud stand outside (having emptied their food bucket) but they won't come out otherwise unless I appear with buckets.  Cloud will even take her bottle in pouring rain if I was daft enough to stand and deliver it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS