Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect vs Clik - applicator guns  (Read 19335 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Crovect vs Clik - applicator guns
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »
Yep Click is the thick pink stuff whereas Vetrazin is more like pink coloured water (or rose wine - if that is your preference  :-J ).

Immediately after shearing your sheep you shouldn't need to use any of these products as the sheep 'shouldn't' get flystruck at this point (never say never). I believe you only need to think about applying them once the fleece gets to about 1cm.

I know it's been said before on the forum but check how long these products are active for and don't use them if the sheep are due to be shorn whilst the product is still active. They've got some nasty chemicals in them and therefore you should ensure that the shearer (or anyone else) isn't exposed to them.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »
I have one Charolais in particular who I do Clik straight after shearing as she has a very greasy back full of lanolin which is likely to make her extremely sucseptible to Strike...the others i wait til their fleeces are an inch or son long before I treat with the Ectofly.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »
We use a pour on/ dosing gun. We have a nozzle for pour on's and another for dosing them. We just set the gun to the required amount needed and away we go. :D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »
Clik interferes with the lifecycle of the larvae and its presence on the fleece protects the whole animal.  Crovect is a poison which kills larvae and works only at those areas where it has been applied.  So you don't actually need to massage Clik into the fleece though Novartis recommend half the spray on the back and half on the bum.

It's not a nice chemical which is why it has a 40 day meat withhold and persistent effect.  This is part of what it says on the label

Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animals[/color]Operators should wear synthetic rubber gloves, a face mask and PVC trousers when applying the product.[/color]In case of skin contact remove contaminated clothing and thoroughly wash the affected parts of the body with soap and water.[/color]In case of eye contact rinse eyes with clean water for several minutes and contact physician for advice.[/color]In case of ingestion call for medical advice.[/color]Always wash hands with soap and water after handling sheep and before eating and drinking or smoking.[/color]Wash hands and exposed skin after working with recently treated sheep.[/color]Do not eat, drink or smoke whilst using the product.[/color]Handling sheep in the weeks following treatment:[/color]Do not shear sheep in the 3 months after treatment.[/color]Handle sheep as little as possible after treatment as residues remain on the fleece for some weeks.[/color]If you need to handle sheep after treatment, wear coveralls and Wellington boots. If sheep are wet also wear waterproof trousers and coat.[/font]

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:44 pm »
Clik interferes with the lifecycle of the larvae and its presence on the fleece protects the whole animal.  Crovect is a poison which kills larvae and works only at those areas where it has been applied.  So you don't actually need to massage Clik into the fleece though Novartis recommend half the spray on the back and half on the bum.

It's not a nice chemical which is why it has a 40 day meat withhold and persistent effect.  This is part of what it says on the label

Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animalsOperators should wear synthetic rubber gloves, a face mask and PVC trousers when applying the product.In case of skin contact remove contaminated clothing and thoroughly wash the affected parts of the body with soap and water.In case of eye contact rinse eyes with clean water for several minutes and contact physician for advice.In case of ingestion call for medical advice.Always wash hands with soap and water after handling sheep and before eating and drinking or smoking.Wash hands and exposed skin after working with recently treated sheep.Do not eat, drink or smoke whilst using the product.Handling sheep in the weeks following treatment:Do not shear sheep in the 3 months after treatment.Handle sheep as little as possible after treatment as residues remain on the fleece for some weeks.If you need to handle sheep after treatment, wear coveralls and Wellington boots. If sheep are wet also wear waterproof trousers and coat.

And it stings like hell when someone 'accidentally' sprays the one part of your body not covered in said protective clothing  >:(  Oh well, at least I am safe from cannibalism for about another 30 days......
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:19 pm »
Thanks - I will be using Clik, as my lambs will not be going anywhwere til autumn and the ewes have been clipped about a month ago.

It was the plan to do it this weekend - but the weather forcast is too awful, and wet sheep, oh well, maybe Woolfest is an option after all  :thumbsup:

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:28 am »
I have a really dumb question to do with the applicator guns ...

I have looked on quite a number of sites and cannot find a the item I am looking for, which is a Crovect bottle top that allows the tube from the gun to be attached. Even better if the is also available a holder that allows the Crovect bottle to be placed on the hurdles.

I just do not wish to try and use Crovect with the bottle open. When I bought my Crovect gun there was no such adapter included, which I find surprising, is this correct? I have had to go back to using a hand held garden sprayer!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 12:34:37 pm »
When you buy any pour on it should come with a different top for connection to a tube ( crovect is  on its 3rd model ) go back and ask your supplier, if not then i have lots of spare that i could post .  Novartis also sell a back pack to carry the container :sunshine:

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 01:16:56 pm »
Thanks for the information Shep, I think it must have become lost before I bought it from my Vet, as I never received the adapter top. If you do have a spare, then that would be great, I shall of course pay of the postage and packing. I shall send you a PM.

I shall search for the backpack, sounds ideal. By the way I saw a short training video on YouTube for Ectofly which was I found very helpful.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »
Will post on Monday no cost to you :thumbsup:  spent 15mins looking for the  rucksack ( holds any pour on or wormer / fluker of similar shape ) only found  one at  NOVARTIS ONE STOP EQUESTRIAN .CO .UK   £12.90  they do last a very long time :wave:   Video very good  :farmer:

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 10:11:04 am »
Thank you Shep, it is really kind of you to help and is very much appreciated. I found the back pack on the OneStopEquestrian site so shall order today, very good tip - thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS