Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect vs Clik - applicator guns  (Read 19304 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Crovect vs Clik - applicator guns
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:56 pm »
I have so far either used Crovect or Vetrazin for my summer flystrike protection, mainly because my small flock and available bottle size/use-by dates, as well as price meant that Clik really wasn't an option. However have quite a few more and now Clik is more realistic, if a bit more expensive.

My question is: Can I use the Crovect applicator gun for the Clik too?

I know they have idfferent chemicals as active agents, but I would have thought they are made from the same plastic. Application pattern seems to be quite similar.

I just don't want to buy another piece of plastic to lie around/have to dispose of if the one I have does the same thing!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Crovect vs Clik - applicator guns
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:21:22 pm »
I've used a clic gun for crovect - even though the bottle of crovect told me I was a naughty boy for doing so. No ill effects so far...

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »
Hi Ank,
I used a 'clik' gun for crovect and got pathetic stripes instead of 'spray' Not sure if crovect gun better and would be alright using clik.
 Like you I didn't want to go to the extra expense of yet another 'applictor' why the hell they can't all get together and design one gun for all applications I don't know.  Though I suppose it's obvious that they all want the £24.0 it cost for each 'gun'.
I reverted back to using a hand held 'garden spray' worked out how many 'squirts' needed for the correct dose required and now use that, at least the sheep get a decent covering of spray wether it's clik or crovect.
You are never to old to learn something new

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »
I use Ectofly.... it's the same as Crovect...you can use it to prevent and treat against Strike..... is about £85 for a huge 5 litre which has a long date on it and the gun which is worth about £29 comes TOTALLY FREE. I used to use Clik but in the event of Strike you have to buy Crevect or Ectofly anyhow so this seems the perfect choice to me :o)

From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »
I am looking at Clik as opposed to Crovect as it is only one application to cover the whole summer.... one less gathering of the flock. Crovect needs two applications and Vetrazin maybe even three, although I have gotten away with two in the last two years.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »
I use Clik but keep Crovect for emergencies and use the Clik gun.  It needs a very firm and fast squeeze to get the fan pattern and a rapid movement to spread it evenly so practice beforehand with water.

They are both made by  Novartis....
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:31 am »
I've used Clik this year for the reasons Anke mentions. I did buy the gun, mainly because I was worried about spilling the stuff on myself if I didn't use the recommended tool. As it was, my husband sprayed my arms with it when he 'missed' the lamb I was holding  ::)
Found it very easy to clean and use though and it makes great squeaking noises (like a clarinet) when its empty
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 08:39:52 am »
I used Crovect this year.

It's quite thick pink stuff so I used the gun to squirt half the correct amount onto their backs and the other half into my hand and rubbed it well onto their bottoms.

Don't know if that's the right thing to do but it seemed to work and I felt I got more on them this way than other ways - especially round their back legs/bottoms
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:08 am »
Anke,
I have only just got my sheep so this is all new to me but used Clik for the first time this week and used their spray gun. I only have 3 sheep and must admit to making an awful job of the first 2 with just a thin stripe. By the time I had got to the third I was getting on better and did a half decent job I think.
When I was cleaning the gun out afterwards with water I found I had the best spray of all, as I wasn't worried about wasting the product or getting it over me. Therefore I would echo what SF said and do a try out with water first so that you get the feel of the thing.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 09:18:22 am »

It's quite thick pink stuff

I thought Crovect was blue? or does it turn blue once applied? vague memories of a teal coloured sheep last year but as they weren't mine I wasnt' taking too much attention of the labels, just helping the owners  :) [size=78%] [/size]
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:41 am »

It's quite thick pink stuff so I used the gun to squirt half the correct amount onto their backs and the other half into my hand and rubbed it well onto their bottoms.

Don't know if that's the right thing to do but it seemed to work and I felt I got more on them this way than other ways - especially round their back legs/bottoms
Confused   ???    Crovect is blue - Vetrazin is pink.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:00 am »
Oh well - whatever the pink stuff is - that's what we used
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:43:49 am by suziequeue »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:26 am »
the Clik was pink too, was a bit disappointed because I couldn't see clearly where it had been sprayed (not that the sheep is pink but they were 'off white')  apart from that was easy to get on.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:54 am »
Oh well - whatever the pink stuff is - that's what we used
:D

I was going to say, if you rubbed Crovect in with your hands, I hope you were using industrial strength rubber gloves; it's evil stuff on your skin and will rot latex gloves very quickly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 09:46:57 am »
Yes - I was  ;D 

I think it must have been Clik becasue Vetrazin doesn't ring a bell but I know our shop does Clik

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS