Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving broody  (Read 2982 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Moving broody
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
Hi everyone ,
I have a light sussex hen who has been sitting for about 5 days now , she's in a broody ark ( like you keep rabbits in ) in the same area as the other chooks . She comes out of the nest box to eat and drink , but wont leave the ark . I've had to shut the end door now as some of the other youngsters are inquisitive and try to go in . The broody hates the others being around her and fluffs up her feathers and is very reluctant to go for even a short wander . This morning she's pooed in the nest box which I've cleaned out - she also is now a bit messy aound the rear end as she's obviosly been sitting in it , a couple of the eggs are now a bit mucky also . A few questions really , I would like to give her a bit of clean up and wonder what the best way to this is ? I understand it's not a good idea to clean the eggs .  Also I would like to move the entire ark into one of the out buildings within a large run . We have a few other young chicks there already in seperate runs .  I feel she would be happier away from all the other chooks outside and then could venture out into the large run for a bit more exercise without being intimidated by the others . The last thing I wat to do is to upset her and cause her stress . Is this a good idea or not ? She's about 4 years old and quite used to us and has hatched eggs before , many thanks for reading and any views will be much appreciated .
Stefan

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Moving broody
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »
I think you are too late to move her, if the others cannot get into the run and she is safe enough just now i would wait until eggs have hatched then move the whole family. if she is happy enough to let you give her a clean then do so but make it quick.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:14:37 pm »
She may be reluctant to get off her nest because of the other hens. You could maybe put her somewhere secluded where she will feel safe.
Be careful how you clean the eggs, just a wipe over will do. Some hens seem to go into a trance when broody and you have to lift them off their eggs once a day and make them walk to food and water. You seem to have a reliable broody there :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:28:46 pm »
Pooing in the nest is not good at all. I'd move her and wash and dry her bottom. Agree she is reluctant to leave the nest because of the other chickens. She should be in a coop and secure run on her own.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:57:00 am »
Can you pick up the ark lock stock and barrel?

We moved our broody at night. Just picked the whole ark up with her in it and moved it somewhere else.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:05 am »
Thanks all for the comments and advise . Yesterday afternoon we moved her , thought about lifting the whole ark into the outbuilding , but as we have another identical one there already set up we moved her into that . We placed the eggs in first , most off the dirt had dried and come off so didn't even attempt cleaning them more. We gave the hen ( maisy btw ) a quick wash at the back end , it wasn't as bad as first expected , mostly dried poo so easily removed . Then placed her into the ark , she didn't seem to be bothered that it was a different one. She ate some corn , had a drink and went straight back to the eggs. She has access from the ark to a larger enclosure , about 6ft x 6ft which is private for her use only . Think she will be much happier here . As I mentioned before there are some young chicks in the barn aswell but they're all in seperate runs away from Maisy . Now just wait and hope for a decent hatch .   

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30:59 am »
Good luck :fc: , though I'm sure she'll be fine :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS