Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: charlotte (my Essex Pig) and the Tamworth Two  (Read 1908 times)

kitchen cottage

charlotte (my Essex Pig) and the Tamworth Two
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:24 am »
 :pig:  dramas.... I have two tamworth boars (5 months) in one paddock next to Charlottes 8 week old weaners.  Charlotte is in a stable while she dries off.... The tamworths are almost to weight and are going on 13th July (I am rearing for a couple of friends who want to make bacon).

Sunday and the sun is shining.  Charlotte has been in my foaling stable all week so i decide to let her out and have a wander.  She is a very well behaved pig and its usual at the weekend for her to just follow me round (along with a couple of chickens. 2 cats and a dog) while she watches what I am doing.

I went inside for about 10 minutes and came out and she is IN WITH THE BOARS!!! I have NO idea how she got in, there is an electric fence, behind which is stock fencing, behind which is a 3 bar wooden fence with wire (I was a bit overcautious perhaps? ;) ).  I can't see any break so I am thinking she got a stick and polevaulted over.... as Sherlock Holmes said, when you have dismissed the impossible consider the improbable (or something like that....)

I went up and after about 30 minutes of Benny Hill type escapades, evenutually got her out..... She wasn't in season,  I saw one boar try to mount her head and she spent most of the time chasing the larger boar round the paddock..... I am PRETTY sure she wasn't served.  Given she only had at most 10 minutes in which to pole vault in and form an acquaintance before I saw her...... would I be right not to be too worried about mixed race piglets...?  :fc:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: charlotte (my Essex Pig) and the Tamworth Two
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:57:20 am »
Speaking from my small experience of pigs, I would say you're pretty safe to assume that she wasn't mated. I've watched my own sows and boar and the sows are pretty firm with the boar if they're not in season!!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: charlotte (my Essex Pig) and the Tamworth Two
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:47 am »
Highly unlikely the boys got your girl in that time, just a bit stir crazy by the sound of it from being cabined up. They are sods, my sow is very vocal this morning come into second season after weaning, she is stood at the gate yelling her head off and making a trench in the mud with all her pacing, no flamin' wonder i can't get any weight on her all she does is rampage up and down. She can't go to my boar as he's still on 3 legs ish after injuring himself falling off a sow  ::)  so its going to be a noisy few days, thankfully being a GOS she is blinded by her ears so can't see escape routes very easily!
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS