Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something different for the Gala tea tent  (Read 7421 times)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Something different for the Gala tea tent
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 07:37:24 pm »
Ive devised a recipe for a very tasty apple and sultana cake

Sounds good, yes please Mary.

Thanks

Sue

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 08:37:27 pm »
You will need:
8 ozs SR flour plus 1 tsp baking powder
6 ozs butter
6 ozs sugar
3 eggs
3 ozs sultanas
drop vanilla essence
a couple fluid ozs milk

2 large granny smith or similar eating apples like Braeburn (crisp and juicy)
1-2 tbsps cinnamon.

Grease and line a fairly deep square or oblong cake tin.
Peel the apples, cut into quarters, remove the core and then slice fairly thinly into a large bowl. Sprinkle enough cinnamon over the apples and move them around so that as much apple as possible is covered. Put to one side.
Place all the cake ingredients into a blender EXCEPT the sultanas and the milk. Whizz them all up for a minute, then check the consistency. It should drop quite easily off a spoon. If its a bit stiff, then add some or all of the milk. You shouldnt need anymore than the amount stated. Whizz again for 10 seconds or so till all the milk is well mixed in. Remove the blade from the processor and stir in the sultanas.
Place just over a half of the cake mixture into your tin, place the apples evenly on top of the mixture, then cover with the remainder of the mix carefully. No matter how hard I try, I always manage to loosen cinnamon which mixes with the batter. Dont worry about that.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 5 for around 45 minutes. If its getting too brown on top after 25 minutes, turn it down to 4.
When you remove it from the oven, allow it to cool in the tin then dust the top with icing sugar and cut into squares or rectangles.

Enjoy!!

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 09:31:05 am »
That sounds nice - do you think I could make muffins using that recipe - with a couple of apple bits in each one?

Sue

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 06:15:36 pm »
I dont see why not. Great idea actually, they'd be easier to eat I think.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 06:52:13 pm »
I would think you would need to keep the apple very thin though as muffins have a much shorter cooking time.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »
Good point Sally, - my muffins cook in about 30 mins compared to the recipe timing of 45.

I feel another experiment coming on here... I think Steve may be getting a bit thicker round the middle over the next few days.

Sue

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »
NM, I made your apple and sultana cake yesterday and very nice it was too.
thankyou
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 04:22:31 pm »
So glad you liked it Sally. Its always a bit daunting giving a recipe out as everybody's taste is different.
Mary.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I made 2 types of muffins choc and beetroot  and lemon drizzle.

The ladies of the village did a grand job making cakes for us too. The other highlights included carrot cake muffins with tiny marzipan carrots on the icing, a whole lemon drizzle cake, loads of millionaires, a tray of bridal slice, a couple of Hermans, and so many differently iced fairy cakes that the customers spent ages just going 'Ohhh!'.

A good time was had by all, despite the rain, which was rapidly followed by the midges... North East Scotland in July - what else could be expected?

Sue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS