Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More hens?  (Read 6456 times)

Debra

• Joined Feb 2008
More hens?
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:34 am »
Good morning

I am a newcomer to poultry keeping, collected my four POL ladies at the beginning of January. All seem to be thriving, but my small flock has taken on a decided 3:1 split. Bossy Britches (aka a Merrydale Crested) lays me the most beautiful blue shelled eggs and leads the gang of three. (The other two members being Sweetie and Snowbelle). Miss Black (Schwarz) wanders around by herself, generally trying to stay out of pecking range. She eats well, but is bullied!

Now, I really do know that there will always be one bird at the bottom of the pecking order. Would having another bird (or two) stop the others picking on her? Or is it just going to happen to the bottom bird regardless of how many I've got?

Debra

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: More hens?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:19 am »
a bit like kids in the playground, they seem to be a bit cliquey?, i have a loner hen, but they still all roost together. I think they get used to it, and like it that way. getting some more would change the dynamics, especially at first. but they would settle down soon enough.

Debra

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:27:55 pm »
mmm.... they do roost together, in fact Miss Black is frequently on the inside of the line up, keeping nice and snug!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:06:12 pm »
She sounds like she is doing ok. get some more any way, to add alittle variety ;).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:58:08 pm »
Our Brown Leghorn is a loner. I don't see her being bullied - in fact, the two Black Rocks are bottom of the heap - and she's our oldest hen. She seems quite happy on her own. I feel sorry for her - but she seems quite content.

Rosemary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS