Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The chutney bug.  (Read 8645 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
The chutney bug.
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:17 pm »
I am and always have been a huge pickle fan and I love making my own. Today I have made 10 jars of apple chutney and 4 jars of tomato and chilli relish.
I fancy making an apricot chutney, but all the recipes Ive seen use dried apricots, soaked.
Im wondering if anyone has made it using fresh apricots which are always plentiful at this time of the year in France. If so, can I have the recipe, but if not, do you think it would work using fresh and would I have to adapt any recipe re vinegar and sugar?
Many thanks,

Mary.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: The chutney bug.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:08 am »
I would just adapt the recipe for dried apricot chutney i.e. if the recipe calls for 250 g. of dried use 5-600g. of fresh and then follow the recipe as usual. :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:08 am »
yes, just use a recipe for plum chutney and use apricots instead.
I'm so jealous, I love apricots but the ones we get here are rubbish, picked green and tasteless. you are so lucky to have your own! I still remember them from my gran's tree  :yum: :&>

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:52 am »
The last time I made apple chutney it tasted fine but the texture was more like a jelly - I suppose due to the high pectin levels of the apples. I'd prefer it not to be like that, wouldn't mind trying another recipe - what is your recipe?
Like you I love pickles and chutneys and it is a good way of using things up and of longterm storage. I think my favourite is damson chutney or pickled damsons, Cheryl likes rhubarb chutney best.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:41:53 am »
Yes we made a dark damson chutney last year - really very good. Unfortunately the late frost got all our fruit so I hope last years stock will last. That said we tasted lots of differnt pumpkin chutney at "the festival of the pumpkin" last year. I may ask the other half to give pumkin a go ( assuming we get a decent crop).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »
The last time I made apple chutney it tasted fine but the texture was more like a jelly - I suppose due to the high pectin levels of the apples. I'd prefer it not to be like that, wouldn't mind trying another recipe - what is your recipe?
Like you I love pickles and chutneys and it is a good way of using things up and of longterm storage. I think my favourite is damson chutney or pickled damsons, Cheryl likes rhubarb chutney best.
You've just reminded me of my childhood there Simon O. My mum used to do pickled damsons and damn fine they were too. Ill hunt out my recipe for apple chutney and get it to you. I used Granny Smith apples 'cos we cant get Bramleys over here, and it came out very well.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:27:31 am »
Found a great recipe for Apricot Chutney, its on the stove now, bubbling away. If its any good, Ill post it for others to try. Fingers crossed!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »
Well its 2 hours later and I am the proud owner of 7 jars of chutney, 2 burns up my arm from splashing juice and a cooker that now needs a good bottoming. Just waiting for it to cool down so that I can do the labels and find some room in the cupboard for it. Tomorrow, Mango Chutney. Ive made it before, but made it a bit too thick so Ill have to watch it carefully. Anyone got any other lovely easy recipes, perhaps using plums?

Thanks

Mary.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:57 pm »
Have a look back through the recipe section - I put on a few really good (and easy) chutney ones ages ago - the best was a Mary Berry Xmas chutney - we all loved it  :yum:
I'll try to find a link  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »
Plum and apple chutney is lovely
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:39:33 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=1484.msg10266#msg10266
Hope this works  :fc:
Mmmmmm going to have to get the chutney pan out soon  ;)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:08 pm »
And, as long as you have the right weight of sugar and volume of vinegar to weight of main ingredient(s) you can add spices etc. as you like or as you have them.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »
There are some great ideas there folks, thanks very much. I made bread this morning, rolls (white) and 2 wholemeal loaves, so the mango chutney will either be done later on this afternoon, or tomorrow morning. Im running out of jars to be honest, so Ill have to go through my store cupboard for all those nearly empty jars, and put them in the dishwasher.

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »
Shame you're not closer to me NormandyMary - I have loads  :o :o :o (to the point where I'm running out of space to keep them hidden from Bruce  :D He thinks I have a hoarding issue  ;))
I've been stockpiling them in preparation for the one or two days of peace I hope to get (sometime) to do a bit of jam panning  :D
Mmmmm homemade rolls  :yum: Oh I'm going to have to make some jam soon  :yum:
Karen  :wave:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 02:05:05 pm »
FINALLY made my mango chutney this morning, and I have to say its the best Ive ever made. I managed to get 2 large and 2 small jars out of 3 large mangos. I cheated on the recipe and just used mangos, vinegar, sugar, mustard powder, chili powder, garlic granules, ground ginger and salt. The actual recipe called for real ginger, mustard seeds and chili flakes which are crushed, but I don't like little bits in my chutney.

Next on the list is piccalilli. Ive made it before but it was too strong so Ill do a sweet one this time.
Hubby was getting a bit fed up of the house smelling like a pickle factory, but he has forgiven me now as he just loves my apple chutney!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS