Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cattle  (Read 7409 times)

chris123

• Joined Apr 2009
  • neyland
cattle
« on: April 25, 2009, 03:47:28 pm »
hi to you all completly new to this so please be patient i have rented some land 1 1/2 acre grass field and about a 1/4 acre of a gourse patch this area will need a lot of clearsing but the rent is dirt cheep if i cleared some of it could i keep pigs in there

as for the field can i keep cattle for beef one  or is it better with two how much paper work etc

with thanks
                            chris123
chris123

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
Re: cattle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:50:53 am »
Hi Chris
I am no expert but we have just bought 2 dexters. one is in calf and one is a young heifer. Cows should not be kept alone as they are a herding animal and need company of there own kind. They reckon you need one acre  for each cow so you might just get away with a couple of dexters . Cattle have passports that have to be filled in and sent off every time they are moved We also got a herd register sent through which you have to record all details of your cattle and then theres TB testing (but I dont know if thats everywhere or just in the west country) anyway good luck we have only had ours a few days but they are lovely.
Sharon :cow: :cow:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:54:35 am by exmoorlady »

chris123

• Joined Apr 2009
  • neyland
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »
thank you any info is welcome
chris123

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:43:30 pm »
its everywhere. we dont have most of the nasty bugs down south. strong screening at the port. But it still has to be done. were lucky at the moment that we have a reduced vets charge for crofters. i would think that that is on the small side for a couple of cows. were are you. dont forget winter feed unless you can grow some it will become expensive. How about some goats would they not clear the gorse patch. do you have the cow shed for them over winter.

chris123

• Joined Apr 2009
  • neyland
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »
hii live in pembrokeshire s.w.wales
chris123

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »
Chris, Of all the animals to keep cattle probably have the most paperwork. First you need a holding number (you need this for all farm livestock)from your local Animal Health office. All cattle need passports(they come with them) and you need to register with BCMS(British cattle movement system). Unfortunately TB is really bad in Pembrokeshire and you will probably have annual TB tests.
Look into it thoroughly before you jump. Check with Defra website and Animal health website but even better talk to local farmers about the paperwork you need and see if you can find one who will help you through the first few months.

Good luck

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:45:58 pm »
I reckon you may just keep 2 small cattle on 1 1/2 acres but it will be tight.  If the land has been let go it may not have the best of grass on it and you'll need to be able to move then onto fresh ground occasionally.
You will also have to buy all their winter feed as you will not have grass to spare to cut hay for them, reckon on 120 to 180 bales of hay or equivalent plus "cake" of some sort and a building to keep them in with stalls or a loose box.

And that's before the paperwork!!!  ;)

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:34 pm »
That sounds like too much hassle and not enough space to me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chris123

• Joined Apr 2009
  • neyland
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:59:30 pm »
thank you all for the info will let you know how i get on
chris123

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »
Hi Chris123,

A couple of Dexters may just be o.k., they do well on scrub land - 1/4 acre could sustain a couple of pigs, but in both cases you will need to satisfy the legal and legislative requirements and you will also need to ensure the enclosures are safe and secure with good fencing (particularly for pigs) - pigs also need shelter from the sun and elements and both fields will need a supply of water...get some 'hands on' advice from a local farmer/keeper who can tell you how good the grass is - also find out if the land has been used to 'bury' anything that may cause you a problem if it is disturbed...persevere its well worth while.

Regards
Farmer

dexterlady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 09:02:10 am »
Check out cattle section on the site's 'links' page.  You will find information about keeping Dexters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS