Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 13456 times)

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
Hi there
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:37:30 pm »
Hi everybody
Have spent ages reading all the comments and have now joined the site.
I hope I can share some things but will be asking lots of questions as well
I live in France- yes, yet another and have Ouessant sheep, horses and pigs, always looking to expand into more diverse animals- the misses keeps on about Llamas or Alpacas so I will need peoples help in stopping that happening.
I myself would like some more unusal animals- any suggestions please!!!
Thanks
Ben

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:14:44 pm »
Hi Ben 10 - welcome to a lovely forum. Looking forward to reading your postings.

Unusual animals - um will need to think about that one - How about some peacocks? Colourful and difficult - you seem to have the difficult ones - piggies, horses and a moaning missus! Just joking!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

woody

• Joined Jan 2008
    • woodys rocky ridge
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:17:30 pm »
Every time I hear someone talking about wanting to raise llama or alpacas I remember I have never eaten llama burgers or alpaca steak medium rare.  Like a sailboat,  great if you love to sail.  Slow and unique and very expensive.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:27:25 am »
hey ill follow on from kates idea of peacocks, how about some phesants? you can get some very pretty ornamental ones:

http://www.allandoopheasantry.com/

peacocks: http://www.peacocks4u.co.uk/index.php?f=data_home&a=0

or maybe you could get involved in breeding for conservation? could be anything from an endangered pig breed to a rare species of bat or something!

or how about something like ostrich, prarie dogs or lemur's!

ill ask my OH for ideas as his head is full of animals he would love to keep! ive said no to everything so far but i do like the idea of giraffes and zebra! never going to happen tho hence why i said yes lol  ;D

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:55:01 pm »
Hi Ben 10,

Hello & welcome, I'm gonna have to go with Peacocks aswell, there were a pair at the market the other day 100e the pair, OH wouldn't let me have them -  :(

Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »
ptarmagens? otters, tapirs and lemmings would be unusual. but perhaps not so practical. for self supporting finance wise i would start with rare breed chickens, pigs, sheep etc. find a niche suitable to your experience, budget, environment and local market. as you already ars used to the stock you have maybe llamas and alpacas would fit in well. maybe you could also add some mangalizas pigs.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:23:36 pm »
 ;D

Mangalitsa pigs, rare, edible, not too expensive.  Great fun, and very hardy.  I have never seen anyone trecking with a mangalitsa but I imagine its possible.

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:16:28 pm »
Hi
Thanks for the suggestions- the better half has read them all, looked up ideas on the internet and now wants everything. Kate you summed her up very well!!!
Mangalitza pigs sound very unusual, are there any in France? or would we have to look to exporting from UK
Please can someone help as I will get big earache if not,

Thanks
Ben

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:24:32 pm »
Hi, have an interest in mangalitsa pigs myself, they are not very common anywhere.  In UK they command maxi prices, there are a  couple of breeders over here and someone on the forum has bought one I understand.  I was priviliged to see him this weekend, oh wow, he is so gorgeous, I wanted to smuggle him into the car.  Only the fear of Hilary's wrath (she hates ANYTHING with a woolly coat or bearing any resemblance to a sheep - very long story) that prevented me. 

Ben10 if you can imagine a oessant lamb only grey and silver and black with white bits, and the cutest ever piggly face, and yet dog like in its friendliness, they are just fantastic.

If you get a chance to visit take your cheque book with you.  HM

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »
Oh HM, I can't wait to see him for real & take him home.. he looks (I'm sure he is) adorable & I've been showing all my friends the picture of him  ;D Just got to be patient, not my strong point  :(

Donna

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:12:45 pm »
Donna you must thank Hilary otherwise he would have been smuggled into my coat and gone.  I honestly am not exagerating when I say he is possibly the most gorgeous animal I have ever seen.  All piglets are gorgeous, cute and adorable but this is something else entirely.  You are going to be so over the moon with him.  Please send and post loads of photos when you collect him.  Have you decided on a name yet?

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 06:29:46 pm »
Hi HM,
Firstly a big Kiss to Hilary  :-* but a shame for you.  I think I'm going to call him Marley , a bit different I know but I like it  ;D  I do hope he likes his new home.
I will take my camera when we pick him up & send you some piccies, Now I just need to let Carole know what I'm calling him.

Ben10 - I'll send you some piccies too, his mum & dad are adorable too!

Donna

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:37:04 am »
Hi Donna sadly they dont have a green smiley on here or I would post it.  Marley love the name.  It is a bit different then so is he. 

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:24:15 am »
aaw.....want one.   
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 11:50:48 am »
Oh so do I, if it werent for HIlary ............

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS