Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my cats gone missing  (Read 7823 times)

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
my cats gone missing
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »
i have or had a cat called mo he has been with me since 6 months old , he has lived outside since i moved to this house3 yrs ago as he wont come in unless its thundering or fireworks, so i bought him a kennel and a cat igloo and i feed him regularrly in cold weather and twice a day in warmer, but he gets little attention as hes not in the house . so hes walked!!! not been here for over a week and this is the third time in a year i know hes got a cosier home so not too worried but would love to know where he is

sandy

Re: my cats gone missing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:02:01 pm »
We have had cat's go missing in the past, mainly due to a cruel Foster child who intimidated them!!!!! Cats must be the wise est animals on earth,they are free (unless shut in) to wounder to new homes that offer the best accommodation, not like other pets!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:17:10 pm »
My Rio has been away for a week too.  I have a pretty fair idea where he is - about a mile or so further along the railway line where there are horses and loads of rabbits and moles.  I found out last year that the horse owners thought he was a stray and had been feeding him, but they aren't doing that now.  He just likes his freedom - and after all cats are free spirits and you can't keep them caged up.  Doesn't stop me worrying about him so I've locked the cat flap so if he comes in he won't get back out again.  Did that a couple of weeks ago and he paced teh house up and down till I let him out again. :(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:26 pm »
Sorry to hear your cat is missing  :-[ My Tommy has been 'missing' for six weeks today. It's normal for him to go off now and then, but his max is 3 weeks, so I'm getting worried now. Hopefully the heavy rain today and the baby bunnies staying below ground will prompt him to return to his nice warm bed and a good meal.

The CPL suggest emptying the contents of your hoover around the garden and leaving out items of worn clothing, the idea that the smell can help to guide your cat home. 

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:01 pm »
One of mine used to disappear for a week or so now and then, but not anymore! its hard to get her out these days ::) but my other cat disappeared for 3 months! :o I'd given up on her and thought she'd been run over, but she turned up one day very thin and hungry, gobbled up her dinner and slept for hours and hours! I would love to know where she went, ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »
Maybe to London to look at the Queen!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:09:14 am »
After my last posting I locked the cat flap to incoming only and Rio came back - prowled round the house then mewed at all the doors till I gave in and let him out, haven't seen him since.  That's 5 days again.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:10:23 pm »
Dreamer, did you cat turn up?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:24:24 pm »
My Rio hasn't come back since 27th, but he's been seen up beside horses in a field two housing estates away - loads of bunnies to keep him fed and horse-boxes with straw to sleep in.  Horse owners have promised me they aren't feeding him.  He'll come back when he's decimated the rabbit population up there or when the snow comes.  That' cats for you!

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:21:57 am »
Dreamer, did you cat turn up?

No no sign of him yet , i do miss him 10 years is a long time, i dont feel too sad though as he did go for a week at a time twice on the last year and the odd day i didnt see him either that tells me he has a second home which he has now chosen as his first, im not too sad as i used to feel awful when the cold, snow and ice was here and he lived outside. hours and hours alone without any company or attention. I hope hes curled up on a lap somewhere being spoiled. maybe hell pop back.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:55:22 am »
Don't worry, cats are free spirits, mine sometimes sleep out at night under the hedge - it is dry under there and they bury themselves in so are quite warm.

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:26 pm »
I got a new putty tat and shes gorgeous, she now 7 weeks old shes black with a white bib four white paws and a white stripe
 straight down her tummy, shes a maine coon cross , never heard of em before so been reading up about them on here. shes nearly doubled in size in a week, the 3 dogs are very interested but shes caged when they are about at the moment. im not sure whether to keep her as a house cat as i live on a busy road and i have two killer dogs next door who did jump the fence and try to kill my other cat, who still hasnt returned by the way.
Is it fair to keep them in all the time?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:20 pm »
I think it depends a lot on the breed. I  have a friend (who Rio visits everyday to be with their horses and eat the rabbits - and bring some home for Mum, which he did tonight! yuk!) who has four Burmese, and they are never allowed out - they don't even try when the door is left open.  But I've lost Candy (Rio's sister), she's been away for two weeks now so I doubt I'll see her again. I am so very sad as she was lovely.  I have a bypass on one side and a rail line on the other.  I still wouldn't keep a cat in once it was old enough to be allowed out.  Cat's are free spirits and sometimes they don't get out of the way of vehicles in time. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS