Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: double glazed greenhouse  (Read 6983 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
double glazed greenhouse
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:43:03 pm »
hi all

i've been offered a bit of a monster greenhouse for free (im delighted!)

it's about 8' by 10' - anout 5' at the eaves and 7-8' at the ridges

it's double glazed!!! with flexible but heavy duty plastic sheets

but i was unable to find a manufacturers name on it - and i'm hoping to find some instructions on how to dismantle the thing.

anyone ever seen a thing like this (it's proper double glazing, not twin wall poly carbonate)

any ideas what it might be - i'm googled out!!!

it's clearly a quality bit of kit.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: double glazed greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:06:54 pm »
Good luck with that! The important thing is if you don't find instructions and have ti use your own logic - take notes in which order you remove things so you can put them back together in reverse. We have a giant puzzle to work out with a gifted one that was in storage and we have no idea what goes where! Just hoping all the parts are there...:&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:09:11 pm »
camera phones and post its are great things!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:25:08 pm »
I agree - I have a computer desk been sitting here for 6 months because I can't figure out how it goes together - and won't admit it to my kids!  Now how proud is that! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:40:16 pm »
That a good freebie!!!! I bought an used  Ikea sofa bed in 2 bits + legs and it was supposed to slide and Lock into a double bed, it took ages and ages to sort it out, Turing it around, upside down, right then left, now it's gone to landfill,all rusted up.......happy dismantling :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:00 pm »
Should I mention this as it's so embarrassing - I had bought a new mobile phone and didn't use it for 9 months  because I didn't have time to read the instructions to find out about the key lock...my OH is the opposite, he just tries things and breaks a few on the way...I hope his logic will work well on the greenhouse though! Keep us posted how you are getting on SB :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:52 pm »
We could just have a greenhouse building party at SB's ;D ;D ;D ;D :dunce: :farmer: :bouquet: :popcorn:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »
SB needs to dismantle his first, come here to help me put one up, please!!! (didn't say I don't trust my man on this one lol):&>

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:07:21 pm »
I recently bought a 'kit' greenhouse which had every part labellled. Unfortunately I left it out in the rain for a few days before putting it together only to find the rain had washed off all the labels. Nightmare!!
JD

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:12:08 pm »
You must be really good at it now, JD, can we invite you to our building parties???

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:17:13 pm »
the dismantling starts tomorrow

i've had a closer inspection of it tonight and it looks like it should be pretty straightforward

it's in great condition as well, so hopefully no trauma. Will know exactly by tomorrow afternoon!!!!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 11:25:54 pm »
Good luck SB have plenty of wine on standby when rebuilding!!
JD

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 04:07:10 pm »
that's it down!! one or 2 tricky bits, but we are there!! woohoo!!!

will be a few weeks before i can start to build it - i've concrete to pour 1st!! another skill to learn!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:42:30 pm »
We've got the frame as good as up now, hurray! I'm quite glad we had it come with a wooden base (heavy as sleepers), so no concrete involved. Went to pick up the glass at the farm where it was stored and about a third of the bits are broken...Next project - sourcing large greenhouse panels in North Fife....Also have to inspect a similar greenhouse at a friend's to work out where the pieces go...:&>

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:04 pm »
First heavy rain since the new greenhouse went up.....leaking like a sieve! Back to the drawing board without the wine this time!!
JD

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS