Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebridean sheep are eating our trees- any tried and tested ideas?  (Read 7856 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Hello.
Just recovering from our first lambing experience. Never knew it would be so exhausting!
Anyway, we lambed outside and the sheep's favourite spot to lamb appeared to be under the trees.
Unfortunately our Hebs seem to like eating our tree bark (the old apple trees are favourite, but they try anything, including leylandii. (Even with a mineral lick on hand to chew on)
As our trees seem to have survived, maybe now is the time to try and protect them.
The only trouble is, we have quite a few.
I don't want to fence the trees off completely as the sheep like the shade and shelter.
I just wondered if anyone has a tried and tested and economical way of tree protection?
Thank you.
Joanne xxx

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Hebridean sheep are eating our trees- any tried and tested ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:25 pm »
Standard method is four posts and either rails or net around each tree, can be done with three posts :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
maybe electric fence off where they are chewing (since that can be closer in to the tree than post+rail/mesh protectors)?
But must admit we are a bit short on trees in the wild and windsweptness here so any trees are planted well away from greedy Shetland mouths :-))

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
My Shetlands eat anything they can reach - and have taught the GFD's their naughty ways.  Fruit trees stand no chance.  I caught one this afternoon standing on the top row of the stock netting and another leaping into the air to eat leaves about 6' above the ground  :o .  They are fed, honestly ::)   They are all houdinis too.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:20 pm »
Sorry but Hebs and trees don't mix.  One of their uses is to eat down and control scrub regrowth, so they are just trying to do their job  :eyelashes:

You could wrap chicken wire round each trunk, but you would need to keep a close eye on it as the trees grow or they would be strangled.  It would need to be the 6' high size.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:55 am »
We have our sheep in a large enclosure with a hedge on one side for summer shade. They are not Hebs and have oodles of lovely grass with loads of different 'herbage'  and clover amongst the grass. What do they start on first? The hedge; the laurel; the camellia; the sweet chestnut bark.......... Do they go for the young gorse or bramble? Do they heck! Have they read the manual regarding things sheep must not eat? No way!
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:37:39 am »
Thank you for all your replies. Chicken wire might be the way to go.
I have tried to explain to them that they are killing off the very thing they love to sleep under and have a good scratch up against, but they don't listen.
Bearing in mind that they will still have a good rub up against anything, I assume chicken wire is still Ok for horned sheep?
xxx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
Small mesh is ok as they can't get their heads right through.  You might occasionally find one which has managed to pull the mesh off the tree with its horns, especially a tup.  The other day we had to bring our whole flock in as one ewe was found wearing a licky bucket around her neck by the handle, spooking herself and the rest of the flock, and of course preventing her from grazing.  They can usually find a way to do something comical - your job is to make sure they don't die if it  8) .  Perhaps before you commit to wrapping all the trees you should try just a couple and see how they get on with it.  We have wrapped our orchard trees without a problem  :sheep:

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:45 am »
Thank you. It's a good idea to start with a few trees I think.
Your post Fleecewife really made me laugh with your sheep's head in a bucket. We get hours of enjoyment watching our Hebs bounce about in the evening.
Right, off to post a Weaning question next and then tree wrapping xxx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:29:28 am »
Swales can do that too:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:46:53 am »
 ;D ;D ;D   I'm glad it's not just us  :D :D   

We had a Jacob once who got the bottom half of a traffic cone around her neck - took ages to catch that wild one  ::)   No idea where the cone came from but I suppose someone slung it over the fence.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »
Have you tried removing their teeth :-J

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
Have you tried removing their teeth :-J

;D  Unfortunately it has other side effects  :D   Also it would stop them from eating the bark but they could still gum the leaves and twigs - which is just what my ancient old toothless biddies do  ::) :sheep:  like old crones chewing their betel leaves.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS