Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question about fleeces  (Read 13957 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: A question about fleeces
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:59 am »
Found this:
" Am I allowed to sell my fleeces to handspinners?
Yes. Under paragraph 70 of the British Wool Marketing Scheme (Approval) Order, any fleece sold directly to a handspinner to be processed by hand, by that spinner, is exempt from the BWMB scheme. This is in addition to the relatively well- known rare breed exemption, under which fleece from the following native breeds can be sold outside the Scheme: Balwen, Boreray, Castlemilk Moorit, Hebridean, Leicester Longwool, Lincoln Longwool, Llanwenog, Manx Loaghtan, Norfolk Horn, North Ronaldsay, Portland, Soay, and Teeswater. It is less widely known that crosses with those breeds are also exempt"

In this leaflet about spinners and fleeces http://www.yarnmaker.co.uk/fleece/FleeceSellweb.pdf

This is driving me mad, I HATE this new quote and weblink system.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:44:53 am by jaykay »

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »
Has anyone ever gotten into trouble with the WMB over fleeces?
People round here keep telling me I am supposed to sell my fleeces this way. What will they do to you if you say 'NO'.? I can't imagine it is a hanging offence :D
Anyway I tell people I don't shear my sheep (true) and that they shed their fleeces naturally (technically true), and allow them to assume that it is stuck in hedges etc not plucked lovingly and saved for spinning :innocent:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 05:30:00 pm »
Well every year I have faithfully registered with the WMB and each year they have failed to send me my woolsack and then, when I've finally got myself one, they have failed to turn up to collect it, though they collect my (very large) neighbour's sacks, half a mile down the road (the farm is large, not the neighbour  ;))

So I have a hayloft full of Rough Fell fleeces, which now I need to deal with.

This year I have Shetland fleeces. Which I am going to do with as I see fit! Mainly, in fact, I shall spin them myself.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 12:16:25 am »
This year I have Shetland fleeces. Which I am going to do with as I see fit! Mainly, in fact, I shall spin them myself.
:eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes:   Swapsies???  Or, given I only have 4 CMs and one's busy losing its fleece; swapsie?  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 09:46:20 am »
Thanks for all the interesting info; what do you do with fleeces no good for selling - some of mine are quite mucky/fall apart, and are only good for the bin - can they go out with normal refuse or do they have to be disposed of in a certain way?
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »
They will compost if you mix them in with your other compost.

Or if you have any poached gateways etc throw them down on there, they will bind the mud together nicely. :)

AllenFrost

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »
I am getting ready to sell eight fleeces from my Gulf Coast Native Sheep here in the US.  Since this is my first sale I was wondering if I was getting a fair price.  I realize the market may be different here and that you may not be familiar with this US sheep breed, but was wondering what an average price might be for unwashed, skirted fleece.  It is not a fine wool and some are black and some white.  I have been offered $1.50 USD per pound. 

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
I think that works out at about £1 english to 2kg of fleece - here I think folk can get up to about £5 per fleece 1kg - 2kg but that would be for good fleeces to spinners so hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
2 seasons ago 4 pence a kilo was the average price for low grade carpet wool, last year it picked up a little but did not cover the cost of sheering for the big sheep men who must sell to the wool marketing board.
Nice soft long staple wool will command a bigger price, for home spinners, Angora goat fleece can get £40 per kilo.
So compared to us , I think you have a good deal there Frosty.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »
Prices for good quality fleece tend to be higher in the US than in Britain, but there seems to be more choice so your product needs to be good.   Have a look at online fleece sales to see what the going rate is, or pop along to one of the many fleece and fibre festivals.

Brucklay - £5 is the minimum anyone should accept for a fleece intended for craft work - less than that and it's such poor quality as not to be worth selling.  A good quality run of the mill fleece would sell for about £10 and a perfect sooper-dooper fleece could sell for as much as £40 (but there are not many of those around  :D ).  The British Wool Marketing Board of course pays far less than that, just a few pence before collection, but they buy the whole clip, not just selected top quality fleeces.

My maths tells me that at $1.50 per pound, with a roughly 1:1 exchange rate, would be £3 per kg, so £6 for an average 2kg fleece. Or have I got my exchange rate from pre financial implosion?  :o AllenFrost, I would say your price is fair enough for a first time sale, before you know more about what potential buyers are looking for. :sheep:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
Thanks for the update Fleecewife always a font of knowledge - I need to sell my Shetland fleeces and CM somehow - their first shear and I bought them pedigree and was told they had good fleeces - they are all very soft and springy - but have yet to learn the technical terms ie not sure of 'crimp' and they all weigh between 1 and 2 kilo - never enough hours in the day to learn everything I need to and implement
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »
Your local spinners will snap both those type of fleeces up!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 01:11:40 am »
The fleeces sound lovely Brucklay.  Once they are skirted ie dags and any scruffy bits of wool pulled off around the edges to neaten it up a bit, and any major bits of veggie stuff taken off the surface, they would sell well via the internet if you don't know anyone locally looking for fleece.  It's much less bother to sell them within this country though or you get caught up in export requirements.

Crimp is the number of little kinks along the length of a fibre or staple.  If you lie a small tuft of your fleece along a ruler you can actually count the number of kinks per inch.  Crimp affects how springy the fleece feels to some extent but mainly it affects how much the eventual fabric and yarn will spring back ie its resilience.  Shetland fleece is quite crimpy, Merino is very crimpy, Hebridean is not usually very crimpy (average about 2 -3 per inch).  The wool over the shoulder and neck is usually the crimpiest on any sheep, and the least is found over the britch, where the sheep sits.  For Shetlands the ideal is to have even crimp and micron count (diameter of each fibre) over the whole fleece from top to tail.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 06:29:13 am »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 08:31:14 am »
Good horns on the tips  :thumbsup: The ewes look quite Shetlandy, have thought that about Churros before too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS