Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: phytoptera progress  (Read 1747 times)

deepinthewoods

phytoptera progress
« on: May 25, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »
the difference in the woods now is amazing, theyve cleared nearly 3 hectares, 1 of which borders my bit, seeing how the rhody has invaded and killed off the natives really knocks it home about how invasive a species r ponticum is. the landlord has now got the bug, and is commisioning a clear up of laurel, my woodshed is already 1/4 full and after this weekends work will be alot fuller! the larch plantations are coming out in september, and will be planked on site, im hoping to get the timber to use on the restoration on my place and the landlords. my section is next and if its cleared as much as i hope, i could end up with alot of useable land, and my lifelong aim of keeping pigs could become a reality. ive been able to plant some ash whips in the clearings and the forestry commision have given them a grant to plant natives, so where there once was rhody will soon be oak beech and ash.
its great to see how this long unmanaged woods can be changed to something beautiful and im glad to be a small part of it. good times!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: phytoptera progress
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
Stover Woods, near us and now open to the public have also got rid of most of their rhodies. These, when the place was a private estate were probably well managed and a talking point and a thing of beauty but got out of hand.
It doesn't take long, Dave for everything to become beautiful again :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:26:34 pm »
Having done my share of rhody bashing, I know how invasive they are and how they fight back!  Your pigs (when you get them) will love their new woods.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love a bit of warranted destruction!

Look out for new seedlings coming up though. I presume the stumps were glyphosated?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:42:55 pm »
industrial strength round up, £55/ litre :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS