Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: black skin/hair  (Read 2536 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
black skin/hair
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:28:01 pm »
Our local slaughter won't take black skinned/hairy pigs, so for this reason we always get pink ones (getting two welsh gilts on Saturday).

If we were to have black sheep, would the same problem arise?

They say the hair on the black pigs clogs their machine up ???

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: black skin/hair
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »
And I would say, as I'm sure others will,that is absolute rubbish!! Is there another abbatoir near you? If not then I dare say they can pick and choose but why?

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:01 pm »
in the end it is up to the slaughterhouse what they accept and what they reject BUT
all pigs once through the scalding tank lose there pigmentation         black hairs are more noticeable if left in than white hairs     there system is not very good     the SVS can condemn the carcase if to hairy   and there is a reluctance to singe them in the UK   European slaughterlines have  singers   gas burners
sheep on the  other hand are skinned        it is maybe kunnies that they don't like they are hairier than others well with the exception of mangalitsas   but some of them are cream     you could ask if they would skin them :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »
And I would say, as I'm sure others will,that is absolute rubbish!! Is there another abbatoir near you?

Unfortunately no.  This one is 5 mins journey for the pigs, whereas the other place we used last December (as our local one was too busy due to being christmas) was 2 hours away.  Obviously it's more cost effective to us to use the local one, so I aim to continue doing so.  Another local butcher then takes delivery of the carcasses for us and does what we want ever so tidily.

I'm thinking sheep wouldn't but best find out first.....thanks ;)

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:51 pm »
Sheep are skinned but doesn't matter what colour they are. As for not taking black pigs thats rediculous sounds like a lazy abattoir. It makes no difference what colour the pigs are gloucesters would have teh same amount of hair as a large black so it's not a clogging issue. We had a similar experience with an ignorant abattoir leaving the pigs in the scalding tank 4 times longer than a standard pig and cooking teh skin so it was ruined.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS