Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and fleas.  (Read 1989 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Goats and fleas.
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:09:53 pm »
Do goats get fleas, the same way as dogs and cats? Im only asking as Billy and Toby seem to be scratching themselves a lot lately. I can't see anything, but then again I rarely see them on the moggies. If the answer is yes, then what is the most effective treatment please?

Many thanks,
Mary.

P.S. What about tics too?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:20:06 pm by NormandyMary »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Goats and fleas.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »
I think Suzanne reported her goats had got fleas.

Lice are more common.

I think Frontline would sort both out, usually used for dogs.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:27:35 am »
Do you need to discard milk when using Frontline?  If so, how long for?  Can it be used on kids?  I'd ask the vet but I'm already learning that the answer to pretty much everything is that it isn't licensed for goats so no-one wants to recommend it!

Goat-Lady

• Joined May 2012
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:33 pm »
Have you tried a pour-on treatment for lice and Ivomec for internal parasites

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:33 pm »
You are right jaykay, I did state that they had fleas.
But as I mentioned I was in a quandary as no one had a recommendation for treatment that was permissible while Faith is feeding. The vetinary chemist recommended Nettex Louse Powder which is off licence for use on goats or to use on the animals themselves, however they assured me it was safe and the problem was becoming horrid, we were itching, with just the thought, they were itching and all the other animals had been treated.
So I used it gingerly as a talc on them both on Saturday. Much improved and nearly clear, I'm sure the few left are dead fleas that haven't dropped out yet and it should last about 6 weeks. My heart was in my mouth for the last 2 days though!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS