Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding up older goats help needed pls :)  (Read 4693 times)

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
Feeding up older goats help needed pls :)
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:38:41 pm »
We aquired an older pygmy nanny yesterday who is in poor body condition.

On closer inspection today i think its possibly because f her teeth, she only has 3 left and they are very long and wobbily so im thinking she will be finding eating difficult.

What id really like to know from you all is what you feed you oldies that will be easy for her and will help get the contion back on her. We do have some of the very smelly goat suppliment that our others like with their mix but how am i best to feed this new lady??

Many thanks in advance

Jane :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Feeding up older goats help needed pls :)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:24 pm »
shredded, soaked sugar beet?
lots of soft veg, grass, hay ... assuming she is able to chew the cud ok?

you could soak her concentrates, so they are soft
(we soak moxed flakes in surplus milk for the chickens, it swells up lovely!)
Little Blue

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »
Thanks so soaking all the way then, shall see how well she goes with the hay in the morning, is there anything in particular that youve found helps them gain condtion quickly?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »
Flaked maize, dairy nuts, soaked in her case.
As LB says, soaked in milk will help, add a spoonful of olive oil too.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »
Bananas if she likes them.

Also I would drench her with one of the goat vit/mineral drenches that are now available, but you may have to adjust the dose for pygmy weight. Worm her if she has just come to you!

Get her back teeth checked, so you can see if she is still able to "chew" her food. Older sheep often manage better of they have no front teeth left - then grass and hay can be picked up with the hardened gum. I have had old shetland ewes who were fine for a couple of years like that, lots of soaked sugar beet shreds always good for energy.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:21:56 am »
Worming is the first thing to do.  Soaked sugar beet (we use fibre beet, which is quick soaking).  There is a horse feed called Ready mash, which you soak with hot or cold water for a few minutes, its really for old horses who have poor teeth, but is great for old goats too, or sick ones!!  Live yoghurt will help  with her digestion.  I would also provide her with ad lib hay if possible, and access to good grazing.

Word of caution - if she is in poor condition, her digestive system will not be able to cope with too much food ....so little and often is probably better than two great big feeds a day.  I prefer the weight to go on gradually, although with an older goat, it could take longer than a younger one.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:05:12 am »
There is another mash for old horses called Fast Fibre  if you can't get the other one.....I use it for my 30yr old horse and also for a 3yr old goat.   She is struggling since kidding and this mash.... which is really ground hay.....fed on the dry side with Ready Grass or Just Grass well mixed in, seems to be suiting her.

Mineral imbalance can also cause an animal lose weight or simply just not put on condition because the right elements are simply not in place.   The best one available which you add to feed is called Premium Goat Feed Balancer..... available by mail order from the manufacturer.  Ring   01363 778792.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »
Many years ago, we had a Toggenberg female - never had any weight on her no matter what she ate, but, she was definitely the best milker we have had so far!!  Some goats do seem loathe to be weight gainers for whatever reason.

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »
Thanks all for your replies, we did worm her the other day hence me having a good look round her :)

We have been and got her some fast fibre have used it for the horses in the past dont know why i didnt think of it, shes been eating it with some soaked nuts and the goat suppliment, ( thanks to Wytsend we got this a few weeks ago ) she appears to be eating this well but does still seem able to eat her hay which she is tucking into with viggor :).

Shall have to see if her condition improves and she can hold it out in the paddocks once shes abit stronger.

Thanks again :) 

Goat-Lady

• Joined May 2012
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »
Many years ago, we had a Toggenberg female - never had any weight on her no matter what she ate, but, she was definitely the best milker we have had so far!!  Some goats do seem loathe to be weight gainers for whatever reason.

I have a Togg here that I cannot get any weight on her, if I give her more food she then gives more milk (5 litres plus). No matter what she amount feed is given, she just puts it into the bucket. So it become vicious circle.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:40:29 pm »
and here, after her kids have weaned.... then she'll put some weight on again until the next lot are weaned!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS