Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horns and fencing  (Read 2842 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Horns and fencing
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:34 am »
I have just been thinking a bit about what we might get to replace our old lady who died yesterday.  I have never had goats with horns and I was wondering if our fencing would be a problem. It is wire stockfence and our Gotland x Balck Welsh Mountain lambs from last year can just squeeze their heads through it. Is this likely to be a problem?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Horns and fencing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:45 am »
We have stockfencing and Savannah, our horned Saanen girl was sticking her head through and as she pulled back, wrenching the fencing  ::)  We now have an extra line of leccy strip running down and goat-chest height, she's stopped doing it now  ;)
 She only ever stuck her head through the side of fence where other animals were grazing on the other side, she's showed no interest in doing it on our garden side.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:36:55 am »
I have horned goats and I too have a couple of electrified wires inside the stock fencing to keep them from sticking their heads through and getting stuck  ::) My sheep were horned too and didn't ever do this but the goats certainly did!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:06:17 pm »
What height are your electric wires at?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:12 pm »
One at about 8" and the other about 2' - they seemed to catch 'head down and through the fencing' and 'climbing on the fencing' activities respectively.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »
The 2 ' high one also stops them rubbing against the fencing and loosening any vertical post/rail  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS