Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reindeer calf....any experience?  (Read 2654 times)

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
Reindeer calf....any experience?
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »
Hi all.

We've had a surprise arrival today and I wondered if anyone had an experience with reindeer?  Little one seems a bit small and mum, whilst protective, seems as unsure as to what to do as us (it's her first calf)! It doesn't seem to have been suckling from mum (she doesn't stand still long enough for little one to try) but it's drunk from a bottle that we've prepared to make sure it can drink on guidance from vet  Would dearly love not to hand rear but it's looking like it might be the only option.

Thanks for reading.
Steph

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Reindeer calf....any experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:45:01 pm »
Is mum edgy around people or do you think she's not feeding it when no-one's watching too? I have sheep that won't stand to feed when anyone but me is about - but they definitely are feeding their lambs when all is quiet.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:27 pm »
Hope they are okay. I agree that sometimes mums won't feed while you are watching but I have also got it wrong with sheep by thinking they were getting milk when they were only sucking without feeding. My advice would be to make sure it has milk in it's tummy until it is strong enough to persevere by itself. What do you do for colostrum with reindeer? I always give artificial ewe's colostrum to lambs in this situation but no experience with reindeer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:05:47 pm by omnipeasant »

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:00:45 pm »
I also hope they are okay

you need to chat to Peter Boddy (0783) 1222384

he has a lovely herd of reindeer and has had them for many years

good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS