Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb eating chicken food and corn  (Read 21161 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Lamb eating chicken food and corn
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:37:41 pm »
The bicarbonate might be a problem - too gaseous for some types of animal?   Maybe depends on the constitution of the pellets overall - the various percentages of the ingredients?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:03 pm »
it would be interested to know the source of the methionine, and the calcium phosphate whether its animal/animal bone derived. I know that when we had animal health inspection, the thing they were strictest about was not allowing the chicken feed anywhere near the feed for cattle and sheep because of the potential for animal product contamination. They took samples of all the feeds to check for cross contamination and I then received a letter 'allowing' me to carry on feeding chicken pellets to chickens (!) .

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »
ditto that - in my AH inspection they checked that the poultry feed was stored separately to the sheep feed.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:59:14 pm »
Yes, and in mine.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:32 pm »
Have sent Farmgate this email:

Hi, 
We were looking at the ingredients of your Farmgate layers pellets. Because of things we've all been told about layers pellets containing animal products and being bad for other animals if they get into them. 

Could you tell us (us being a group of smallholders)
1. What is the source of Dicalcium phosphate 
2. What is the source of the methionine

Thank you very much, J

Will see what we get back.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 08:30:30 pm »
It's very interesting. Our hens get farmgate and pup is still learning what he is allowed often trying to steal a mouthful as he passes  ::)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »
Thank you for all the replies and interest that this post has generated! I'm learning all the time!!
4 pet sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 11:20:38 am »
Thank you for your enquiry.  I can confirm non of our feeds are manufactured using any form of animal by products.

We source our Methionine from France and our Di Calcium Phosphate from Belgium.

Layers Pellets are recommended for feeding to Laying birds only and should not be left around for other animals or Poultry to gain access to.

fleurky

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:11 pm »
Brilliant! Well done you! I don't suppose you could ask why the 'no other animals' bit? Cheeky, just wondered.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »
I might... :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 01:13:09 pm »
"Thank you :-)
If it's only got those ingredients in though, why is it a problem for other animals do you know? That's what we always get told but we were trying to find out exactly what the issues were, as occasionally there are accidents and other animals do eat it. 
Thank you for any help, 
J"

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »
Its funny that they misunderstood the q about the source of the ingredients, Belgium haa ha!! Or did they not want to answer the question which was all about understanding what source material they are using!

It does seem odd that they are saying dont let other animals near it, if its all so fine and veggie.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:43 pm »
And the answer I've had back so far is just a copy of the label. I'll attach it here but I don't think it helps much!

I know - Belgium  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:16 pm »
Ok, I've got it as a PDF on my iPad - how do I attach it?

fleurky

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »
Ha! I bet they think you are some sort of animal activist! Well done for being proactive and getting that much - shame they either don't know the answer or are being evasive =).  Still, I'm much less worried about the puppy grabbing a handful.  The cades certainly had a liking for it too. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS