Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb eating chicken food and corn  (Read 21158 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Lamb eating chicken food and corn
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:44:37 am »
I just wondered  if anyone could give me advice that I hope I don't need! I've just found a lamb that a friend is looking after, in the chicken run, eating the chicken food which is made up of layers pellets and some corn. I don't know how long he had been in there. I hope nothing happens but in case he starts to bloat I wondered what can I do? I 've read somewhere on the Forum about using vegetable oil, but I can't remember if that was for when sheep had eaten poisonous plants. He's about 11 weeks old and I remember the old saying 'Forewarned is forearmed' - so if there was a problem I might be able to deal with it. Thank you
4 pet sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Lamb eating chicken food and corn
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:04:59 am »
The trouble with chicken food is that it seems to be very tasty to sheep and goats and they eat too much of it.
Yes, that can cause bloat. What happens is the grain allows the wrong sort of rumen bacteria to thrive, producing gas, which froths up and can't escape. It also turns the contents too acid, which continues the problem. It can kill them.

Here is what to do:
Before you see any signs of bloat, give him some live yoghurt with a level teaspoon of baking soda mixed in. If he'll take it off a spoon so much the better, if not make it runny and syringe in about 40ml, making sure he swallows not inhales it! This may avert any problems.

If he does bloat, syringe in 40 ml (60-80 ml for an adult) of vegetable oil. Again, careful he swallows.
This reduces the froth and allows the gas to escape.

Then he needs to be on hay and water for a couple of days while his stomachs settle.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:06:54 am by jaykay »

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27:53 am »
Layer pellets are poisonous to most stock , Just hope he didn't eat too much,

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »
Jaykay thanks for the advice which I have followed. All's well at the moment - hope the same applies in the morning!
Thank you!
4 pet sheep

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »
Checked lamb this morning and all's well. Thanks again for the advice!
4 pet sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »
Phew  :thumbsup:

khajou

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »
Why are layers pellets poisonous to most stock?

I know of several breeders of sheep that use turkey grower pellets to get the size into their lambs before the pedigree sales. :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:21:25 am »
I want to know too.

You often get told this. But when I asked the vet he said there was nothing 'poisonous' as such, just that stock ate too much of them, they find them very tasty, and then got bloat/acid problems. But then vets don't know everything (though my farm vet is good). So I can't work out if they are poisonous or bad-for-them-in-too-large-a-quantity, in the same way any grain is, which is different I think.

I wish I could find out for sure cos my skinny goat will eat layers pellets forever, but I only let her have a handful in case they really are poisonous  :-\ though she needs to fatten up.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:01 am »
I had it in my head that poultry feed could contain animal by-products, as chickens are omnivores.  And it was that that was no good for the sheep (which are obviously herbivores).

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:59:13 am »
Oh, I think that's right FB. And whilst I don't think actually uncontaminated animal products are a health issue, somehow it doesn't see right to feed sheep back to sheep does it? Also there's the risk of stuff like scrapie and BSE I suppose.
Yeh, so not poisonous, but bad for them in other ways.

fleurky

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:19 pm »
Out of interest is it ok for dogs to eat layers pellets? Mine love them given half a chance =/

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »
Maybe some makes of layers pellets will have drugs and additives in for more intensive systems?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »
Out of interest is it ok for dogs to eat layers pellets? Mine love them given half a chance =/
Mine too, so I'd like to know too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
Well, here are the ingredients for Farmgate, which is a common layers pellet.

Wheat, Wheatfeed, Calcium Carbonate, Sunflower Ext, Soya Bean Ext,
Oats, Vegetable Oils, Di Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate,
Methionine

Wheatfeed is apparently a by product of flour milling, so bran, seed coat and some flour.
Dicalcium phosphate is added to toothpaste, cereal, dog treats, enriched flour and so on, to add calcium.
Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda
Methionine is an amino acid found in pretty well all proteins we digest.

So I can't honestly see anything there that is harmful to either sheep, goats or dogs.

fleurky

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »
Blimey! You are good Jaykay! That has put my mind at rest.
So maybe they are not bad for sheep? I had no idea about this - my cade has been happily strolling into the chicken's stable and helping herself.  She's out in the field now so no more sneaky snacks. So much to learn!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS