Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ear tags  (Read 6162 times)

robert waddell

Re: ear tags
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:06 pm »
we use plastic and have never lost one in the de hairing process   but then they are not kunnies  not all slaughter houses take them :farmer:

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:01 pm »
My abbttoir - a small family business - doesn't require them at all. Unfortunately my weaners came with ear tags. Previously this type of tag snagged on grass and caused a lot of trouble. I don't suppose there is a way of painlessly taking them out.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »
My abbttoir - a small family business - doesn't require them at all. Unfortunately my weaners came with ear tags. Previously this type of tag snagged on grass and caused a lot of trouble. I don't suppose there is a way of painlessly taking them out.

Short and sweet answer is no. but we have taken them out before as the ear had started to go manky!
If its a weaner you need two strong people, one to hold weaners steady another with strong hands to use pliers to take out the offending article, then liberally spray hole with purple or dust with wound power. They soon heal up.
For older pigs you may need to look at sedation though we have done it with a strong man(OH) with the pigs head in a big bucket of nuts with his ears hanging over edge. Same meds apply.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »
is it not illegal to remove a tag once fitted  esp by a purchaser :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:23 pm »
Probably but i would use welfare grounds as mitigating circumstances.
mandy  :pig:

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 12:35:42 pm »
In the past I made up a water pistol of Dettol and sprayed the injured ear when the pig was eating.
Apart from the ear-tags, the present lot have badly sunburned ears that will need attention anyway.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 12:46:29 pm »
In the past I made up a water pistol of Dettol and sprayed the injured ear when the pig was eating.
Apart from the ear-tags, the present lot have badly sunburned ears that will need attention anyway.

Daub with aftersun or sudocrem to heal and next time its sunny use sun block factor 50+ or plaster them with mud.
HTH
mandy :pig:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »
Our first two pigs we used metal tags but weren't entirely happy that they were in properly.

The second four pigs we bought a slapper, and will use this on the next two we get this weekend.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS