Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A few questions about my first piglets, registering...herd numbers etc  (Read 7200 times)

sc12011

• Joined May 2011
Hi  :wave:

I'm new and about to get my first piglets :) I've decided on large blacks :) and I'm soon excited  :D I've almost built their run, which is at the edge of a field so they have grass, then a huge section of woodland :) , some big oak trees (with lots of acorns still on the ground) then a big ditch, and a strip of grass the other side) 

I have a holding number, but if I'm just raising them for eating, do I need a herd number? I read something that said a herd number is only needed to transport pigs older than 12 months, so does that mean little piglets are exempt.

Other than a movement licence, is there anything else I need to arrange/register with?

Thank you in advance :D

Oh and I might be getting 1 or 2 of them registered. Should the registered ones be ear tagged/ notched when i pick them up and what sort of paperwork will I get with registered pigs if any? (I've tried to look up these questions but lots of information seems rather vague  ??? ) Do the both notified piglets have some kind of tag/number? I assume so, so that they can be traced?

Thanks again :)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Hello, and congratulations in advance on getting your first pigs !

Yes, you will need a herd number. Contact your local Animal Health office and they'll send one out to you - or may even give it over the phone, as some do. You will need this number whenever you move your pigs - e.g. to an abattoir or another farm.

The herd number will also need to be on any tags you put in the pigs. When you order your tags (message me if you want details of suppliers), you will be asked for this number. If you decide to slap-mark instead of tagging (I don't, because I find tagging very straightforward), you will need to order a slap-marker kit with characters whcih make up your herd number.

As you are planning to send some for slaughter, you will have to register for online movements. See eaml2.org.uk (no wwws) for details. There's a step-by-step guide to setting up a movement, when the time comes - or give me a ring and I'll talk you through it.

re. registration etc, I'm a bit confused about what your plans are. Do you really want to buy registered breeding stock at this stage? Why not get used to pig keeping first, give it a try for four months, send the finished pigs to slaughter, and then decide whether you want to do it again?  If the pigs are registered pedigree large blacks, they should be notched. Contact the LB Pig Breeders' Club for more info http://www.largeblackpigs.co.uk or email the secretary, jwood@largeblackpigs.co.uk

If you do decide to buy registered pedigree stock, the breeder will do the paperwork for the registration and, if he or she notifies the BPA straightway, you should get confirmation through the post within a week. However, I would urge you to take your time. Get some weaners, enjoy rearing them and learn about their needs. Then, when the time is right, consider buying breeding stock - it's a huge jump to make!

All the very best
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

sc12011

• Joined May 2011
Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply :)

The only reason I was thinking of getting a couple of them registered was that I wanted to send two off at a time, and if for any reason I found the first pair too traumatic ( ::)  I know I'm a bit soft!) that I couldn't sent the second two off, then I'd be able to sell them as breeding stock, rather than if id never got them registered. If i handle the first two ok, then the second two might well heading for the freezer too, but i thought for the little extra it costs at least it will give me more options and make them more sellable should i need to. I'll be moving house at the end of the year, so they will have to go one way or another so if I do breed some it will be way in the future! :) 

I could just start with two, but we know quite a few owners of pubs and restaurants who are interested, which is the reason I was thinking of 4 (and hopefully I will be less able to tell them apart and get attached!) We have plenty of room for them

Do I need to get the herd number before I pick the piglets up? I did read something that said you have a month to get the herd number?

Oh and I meant to say I'm sooo excited not 'soon' excited!!!  I'll try to get a picture when they arrive, and no doubt I'll have more questions :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
SC, I am new to this too as I have only had my weaners for a week, but you definitely need a herd number BEFORE you get your piglets.

I understand from Animal Health that you can have sheep before the herd number but not pigs.

This is the case for England and Wales. I suspect the rules in Scotland are the same but I'm not sure

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
I thought that a herd number could be applied for once the pigs had arrived, you definately need a CPH number BEFORE they arrive.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Skidley,
I'm only going on what AH in Carmarthenshire told me when I phoned them. Pigs before you get them and sheep after.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
In Scotland you must get your CPH before you have pigs on your land & it's also a good idea to register on ScotEID before collecting them too - I find it so much easier doing the Movements online.

You will then need to contact your area Animal Health Division to get your Herd No afterwards.

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Hiya, Id echo what Liz says as we had the same thoughts as you - we bought 4 pedigree saddleback weaners, 2 of them registered gilts. We thought we would progress to breeding (that bit is different to you) but realised it wasnt for us.  We tried to sell the gilts, but no interest.  So we sent them off with the boys - no big problem, its just that I regret spending an extra £10 each on them AND regret slaughtering 2 registered girls when we could have been supporting the breeder better by taking boys that didnt quite make the grade.  I definately wouldnt buy registered thinking they will be more sellable (although I appreciate it might be different for your chosen breed?) - Id just buy the number you think you can eat/sell.   And enjoy!  Cant wait for our next lot :)

sc12011

• Joined May 2011
Thanks for the tip, you might be right, The large blacks I though I would be getting have all sold out! (was told there were 4, then the next day nope all gone :( another breeder couldn't tell the difference between gilts and boars (at 8wks?  :o ) ....

I'm struggling to find gilts at all, do you think it would be ok sending boars off at 7-8 months?  I didn't want to risk it, as my mum has said she thinks she tasted odd meat before than might have been from older boars

I've heard of them being castrated after slaughter/before butchering. Would this make a difference?

And a quick question..... Should healthy pigs tails always be curly?? I was sent a pic of piglets from a breeder where their tails were straight and drooping. They all had their heads down so were probably eating (he sent me an younger pic of them all with curly tails ) but I just thought it looked a bit odd...

robert waddell

your mum is probably one of the few that can recognise boar taint
if they are intact at slaughter there innards are removed   penis testicles as are gilts with there reproductive system    arse holes are also removed as are the Fanny's :farmer:
castration only works when the testicles are removed at less than one week old
this has been kicked about the park as many times already so don't all come in trying to get life in it :farmer:
tails well you will find out when you get them  :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook

I'm struggling to find gilts at all, do you think it would be ok sending boars off at 7-8 months?  I didn't want to risk it, as my mum has said she thinks she tasted odd meat before than might have been from older boars

Hiya - you might not need to keep them that long we had fab pork and bacon off ours at just over 6 months.  They were all massive and starting to get a bit boystous by then.  couldnt taste any difference between girls and boys.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
As Robert says pigs should be castrated at before a week old if thats the way you want them but not many breeders do it. Get them away at 24 - 26 weeks old and you should have no problem with taint so long as they haven't mixed with girls after 16 weeks.
Tails generally straighten out whilst they're eating and whizz curly when they're rooting up some tasty morsel.
I would be very worried by a breeder who couldn't tell the difference between girl and boy pigs at eight weeks, they must be blind ::) boys visibly have a pouch hanging with faintly shaped balls and girl don't! ::) they normally have a prominent tush!
HTH
mandy  :pig:
Ps sounds like you need to do some more reading up!

robert waddell

and mandy is the expert on pigs tails ;) ;) ;)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
and mandy is the expert on pigs tails ;) ;) ;)
Spend hours watching them  ;) Clover pig tells the best tales of all especially if she's on one of her missions!  ;D
mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

tails mandy not tales ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS