Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something to make with your excess Courgettes  (Read 2731 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Something to make with your excess Courgettes
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
I know its a bit early for excess yet but thought you might like to be prepared.

I have just made this cake from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook.

Courgette, walnut and cinnamon.

If I was doing it again I would make 2 changes - reduce the quantities by a third so it only makes 2 layers. 3 is a bit excessive unless you are making it for something special.
Even if I am making 3 layers I would reduce the amount of frosting. There is quite a lot and its rich.

3 large eggs
300ml sunflower oil
300g soft light brown sugar
half tsp vanilla essence
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon 
0.5 tsp ground ginger
0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
300g peeled and grated courgettes   (I never peeled mine)
100g walnuts, roughly chopped, plus extra to decorate the top

Frosting
240g unsalted butter - softened
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
750g icing sugar
75g plain greek yogurt

Preheat over 170c (325f)
Line bases of 20cm sandwich tins
With a mixer, mix together eggs, sunflower oil, sugar and vanilla essence until combined
sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda and ground spices. Add this to the other mixture in 2 batches with the mixer on a low speed. Beating well after each addition
Lastly, add courgettes and chopped walnuts and combine.
Divide equally into the tins and bake 35-40 mins
Allow to cool for a few mins before turning out onto a wire rack

Frosting
Mix butter, cinnamon and icing sugar with an electric whisk (i started it by hand unless you want to be in a dust cloud) Keep mixing until the mixture is of a sandy consistency.
Add yogurt and once all combined increase mixer speed until frosting is light and fluffy. (I added a bit of warm water at this stage)

Layer the sponges with frosting in between and then on the top and round the outside. Use the additional walnuts to finish.

Enjoy
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Something to make with your excess Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:58:32 pm »
Yum. I have another....

Grate courgette (peel skin), onion, red pepper, whatever else is lurking in the fridge, and squeeze out any excess juice. Grate parmesan, add parmesan, flour if it's too wet, an egg, seasoning, whatever else you fancy. If you have a deep fat fryer use it, if not use a small pan to heat up veg oil and drop little balls of the mixture in. They're gorgeous and use up loads of courgettes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS