Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something went wrong with my clootie dumpling - help please !  (Read 8010 times)

HappyHippy

I know, shame on me for never having had a go before now  :-[
My dad makes his in a microwave  :o and my wee granny (who's clooties were the best I've EVER tasted) is sadly no longer with us for me to ask her  :'( :'( :'( So I'm hoping you guys can help  ;)

Here's what I used:
1 LB OF SELF RAISING FLOUR
1/2 LB MIXED FRUIT
1/4 LB OF SUET
1/2 BOX OF MIXED SPICE
1/4 LB OF SUGAR
2 TBSP OF TREACLE
1/4 PINT OF MILK & WATER
(it's a receipe from a neighbours granny, but she is not here anymore either so I can't check quantities)

I mixed all the dry ingredients, melted the treacle and mixed with the milk and water before adding to the pudding mix (it seemed VERY dry so I added a bit more water & milk) Soaked a cloth in boiling water, wrung it out and floured it before adding the mix, tying tightly and boiling for 2.5 hours.

It's very dry, lighter in colour than my granny's was and the skin isn't as thick as her's either - where did I go wrong ?
Suggestions please ?
Thanks  :wave:

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Re: Something went wrong with my clootie dumpling - help please !
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:17:14 pm »
I change my recipe every time but I always put in more treacle than you do - almost a whole can and lots more spices.  I also cook mine for a bit longer and if you want the skin to form, you can always put it in a low oven for half an hour or so  after cooking to dry the skin out a bit x

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »
Yup, I don't have my grannies recipe here as our books are in boxes at the moment, but I'd agree with lots more treacle - I'm sure it was a full size smallest tin (not sure if you get the wee tins now though) and make sure your cloot has a good covering of flour before you put the mix in.  Oh, and some sixpences or thrupny bits for the charms  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »
Thank you both  :-* :thumbsup:
I'll give it a go with the rest of the can (minus the 2 tbsp I've already used) I knew as soon as I cut it that it was wrong because it was too light in colour  ::)
You do still get the wee cans goosepimple  ;) :thumbsup:
Bruce is calling for the addition of ginger (which I think we'll definitely add) but no sixpences or thupny bits for us - the kids would choke on them  :o

I'll report back after the next making  ;D :yum:

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »
was it edible     my mother used to Finnish it off in the oven     Lillian makes them as well     not every one turns out perfect   i think there is something about cloties at Angus show :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS