Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin  (Read 19106 times)

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:55:22 am »
Hello,
My name is Suzanne, this is my first time contacting the group.
I am looking for advice.
I have had goats for a number of years now but at present have only one female
called Faith. She has been with us for about 7 or 8 years. Just over a  week ago she
was attacked by our donkey, she was heavily pregnant at the time and I feared she wouldn't recover.
We had fears for the baby also. She has been off her feet since. He bit her on the back, she fell and couldn't get up.
They always got on so well until now. We called the vet, no breaks, fetal heart OK. Antibiotics and pain relief. TLC +++, loads of apples carrots and porridge!
On Wednesday she gave birth to her little boy. :goat:
She previously had twin boys and prior to that a single girl. :)

However, she is still off her feet. She had a previous broken leg which she recovered from but the joint is fixed.
It was her front leg. The current problem is with her back legs.
Vet exam states no damage, but she is only just starting to move them. We have put the baby to her but she is not producing much milk, so we are supplementing with bottle. She is not enjoying feeding him! :(

Is there anything we can do to help improve her mobility? Anything to build her up?
I am meant to be away overnight on Wednesday, I really need to go!
Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Suzanne
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:36:35 am by suzanne@waterfall »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Faith and baby Martin
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:00:40 pm »
Congratulations on the safe arrival of baby Martin  :)

I'm guessing she's badly bruised and it hurts!

And sometimes, once you've become immobile, getting going again takes time. If the vet says there are no obvious problems, I might put a collar and lead on her, lift her to her feet and see if you can persuade her to come for a short turn about the yard/paddock. Might need some of her favourite food/branch from hedgerow in your hand....

You might need to do this for a bit, to get her moving again.

Hopefully as she loosens up, she'll stand better to feed him.

What does the vet think about painkillers? I know mine is a bit wary of oral ones for ruminants but will inject with metacam (or let me) if necessary.

The other thing is to feed her up - flaked maize, dairy nuts and a good mineral supplement, Brinicombes now do a proper goat one a lot of us on here use.

Hope things improve soon  :goat:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »
Without an x-ray its hard to say what is going on. could be nerve damage. I would have thought having given birth she would have been eager to be up and looking after her kid so something is far from right. Not a goat expert but I am sure someone on here will be ble to help  :wave:

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:11:42 pm »
Thanks for the help.
I also think all is far from well, but there is no sign of pain when I do passive movements with her limbs.
I could do with a zimmer frame for her.
When I said we have had goats for a number of years, we have had 3 or 4 goats at a time and they have been pets.
We have not had many major problems to deal with. They are just pets, not dairy.

I am in Ireland. I'm not sure where I would get the mineral supplements. They don't keep them where I get my feed.
We are giving her Ivy which she loves, also ginger nut biscuits.

She had 3 days of injections for pain which ended the day before her delivery. The one limb appears weak she doesn't even try to take weight on it, almost as though she had had a stroke. Also she is losing blood stained serous fluid from her uterus. Not frank blood but blood stained fluid. Is this normal.
Thanks again for your help.
Suzanne.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »
Yes, some blood stained fluid is normal after a birth. Has she passed the afterbirth?

Anyone would be weak and stiff from not moving, imagine sitting on the floor all that time and then trying to get up. I suppose it's possible she's damaged her spine but it may just be the above too. I think the vet would have thought about spinal damage so if they say they don't think anything major is wrong hopefully it isn't.

Brinicombes deliver the mineral, we all have to mail order it too, I don't know anywhere near that stocks it
If you have any further questions on Premium Goat Balancer or wish to place an order please call Kym Moore, Customer Support Supervisor on 01363 778792

Mine love ivy too - never tried them with ginger biscuits  :D

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:15 pm »
Thanks, I'll order some asap.
Yes she passed the afterbirth in the pm and it seemed complete.
We'll keep trying, hopefully she will come through ok.
She is sitting up at the moment and 'talking' to little Martin, she is giving a little milk and we are topping up with bottle........ but she doesn't like that at all.
Thanks for the advice and information, it's a lonely place just hoping you are doing the right thing for them,
especially when they are ill.
Suzanne.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »
Congratulations on the safe arrival of baby Martin, and a huge welcome to the board. Its a great place to be if you have problems. I know that if my boys have been off colour, I feel very scared and alone as they are still new to me, unlike cats who I have kept all my life. Its great to know that we have somewhere to come to for good and friendly advice at any time.
I hope that Faith recovers very quickly.

Good Luck,

Mary.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:14:15 am »
Just to let you know that Faith stood for a few moments tonight, we got her up but she stood on her own hooves for a few minutes.
I am so delighted I cannot tell you!
What can I safely use to wash Faith, she needs a good clean up as her coat is all matted and stained.
She has had an interim clean up with sensitive baby wipes, but it's not effective enough. Sorry, I have to go as one of my cats is determined I'm not going to type anymore! She has added numerous letters and digits of her own!!!!!!!!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:17 am »
Hurray  :thumbsup: The more she stands the better she'll get  :)

You can use dog shampoo on goats, or a horse brush, but to be honest, that's the least of her problems and I wouldn't bother her with it at the moment. It'll be bothering you far more than it is her. Wait until she's back to normal again before you do anything that'll stress her  :-*

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:25:33 am »
You really need to get her up and moving for her own good, collar and lead and someone behind to help motivate, A bucket of her favourite food dangled in front and take her outside for a ten minute walk 3 times a day.

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:27 am »
Hi Suzanne

If you pm me your name and address I'll send you on some of the mineral supplement until you get your own if you want.

I got a huge tub of it and although it took a while for my goats to get used to it I can see a huge improvement, our Heidi had problems after her birth as well (I think you read that thread) but with anti-biotics and a lot of TLC she came around and is back to being Queen Bee.  I would agree that its probably bruising and soreness, but keep an eye on her to make sure that more serious damage hasn't been inflicted, like jaykay I wouldn't bother about cleaning her up for a wee while until she's a bit stronger, others might know better but maybe a heat lamp on her when she's lying down might help her muscles and joints.

Any like I said pm me if you want some of the minerals until you get your own

Good luck with them

Brid

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 12:02:59 pm »
Thank you Brid. I will do that.

This morning Faith stood again having been got up by us, but it was not as good as last night, and for a shorter time.
She let Martin feed for a short while and ate apples, carrots and porridge. I have taken the advice about not washing her,
except using the wipes on the business end! Please keep your fingers crossed!!
Suzanne.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »
Faith had a good day and stood with us twice, she still cannot get up on her own but she is now flexing her muscles and moving her legs whilst she is sitting on the ground. Appetite is good, but she gets tired really easily. She is still feeding as much as she can.
We plan to use a sling and hoist to enable us to stand her more easily. Her mood seems to have lifted a little when she has stood on her own feet. I'm sure it gives her hope, she is certainly not short of the love that goes with Faith and hope!
Does anyone have any experience of using a sling and hoist with a goat?
Thanks again everyone for all the help and advice.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »
It does sound like she is beginning to feel more comfortable.  Keep encouraging her to move and hopefully she'll soon be back to normal.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:27 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Just to let you know that Faith is moving and stretching her legs now which is a big improvement than a couple of days ago. Baby Martin is doing fine, :goat: but Faith had very little milk today. She is reluctant to drink, even though we gave her slightly warmed water. Is there anything else goats would drink and is safe to give them? We keep trying!
Flann, our springer spaniel, is suffering from depression as we are in the goat shed so much. :(
Thank you all again for all the support.
:wave: Goodnight,
Suzanne.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS