Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild garlic?  (Read 9608 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
wild garlic?
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:48:58 pm »
does anyone know what wild garlic likes? i have a beech avenue with shade and shelter and was wondering if it would like it there?
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: wild garlic?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:55:22 pm »
Probably not much help but all the wild garlic around here is a thick carpet in the heaviest canopy of mixed wooded areas. The main trees are silver birch.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:16 pm »
Probably not much help but all the wild garlic around here is a thick carpet in the heaviest canopy of mixed wooded areas. The main trees are silver birch.

that is promising news!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:35 am »
Also dont know the proper answer!!!..... but I recently lifted a couple of bulbs from a friends mixed native woodland (under the canopy)and have transplanted into the same.  It seems to do really well in hedgrows, so I'm suspecting it likes dappled sun.  My experience of beech woods is that not a lot grows in the understory as the canopy gets so dense, but as garlic is so early, it might be OK?  If youve got some, might be worth putting more in the margins/edge of wood.  Mine is not looking comletely happy but is flowering - possibly I was a bit late transplanting.  Good luck

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:28 am »
Your wild garlic should be quite happy under beech trees  :) The best time to transplant is Autumn when the plant is dormant . Then your only problem is remembering where the bulbs are so you can dig them up ;D I used to work in a wild flower nursery, used to spend at least a week every Autumn digging ransom (wild garlic) & blue bell bulbs. You really get to dislike the smell after a while  ;D ( in fact if you have blue bells your wild garlic will be happy next to them, they are often found hand in hand)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:34 am »
and in poor soil as well i should imagine

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:28 am »
Your wild garlic should be quite happy under beech trees  :) The best time to transplant is Autumn when the plant is dormant . Then your only problem is remembering where the bulbs are so you can dig them up ;D I used to work in a wild flower nursery, used to spend at least a week every Autumn digging ransom (wild garlic) & blue bell bulbs. You really get to dislike the smell after a while  ;D ( in fact if you have blue bells your wild garlic will be happy next to them, they are often found hand in hand)

thanx Bert, much appreciated mate!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »
Somebody has promise me some wild garlic plants so I will try to find a fairly shady place for them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS