Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: whats best for the kids  (Read 2336 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
whats best for the kids
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:08:31 pm »
So yet another question in my ever increasing need for knowlege....I am unsure of exactly what to put out for the kids to eat as theyr getting older. They are a week tomorrow, and are feeding well on Maiseys one teat, and now seem interested in the twice daily bucket of fruit and vegetables...is there anything that i can put out to encourage them to solids or will they slowly become interested in mums snacks? they have been out with mum and seem very interested in everything. They are little tykes! ( would put up a pic, but cant understand how to change file size!!)
I intend to leave them feed off her and then get them ready for possible sale, any advice on this would be great as we may try to sell at 12 weeks. I can see that i have already fallen for the bigger of the Two named lucy, she is very soft and loves to be cuddled :) I think we made a bond straight away ....uhh oh...
thanks again guys :)

:goat:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: whats best for the kids
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:28 pm »
they will start with hay - and its good for their digestion, as the stomach arrangements in goat kids develop over time.

they'll then help themselves to whatever hard feed & vegetation mum has when they are ready, and still take milk from her ... in my experience, for as long as she'll let them!

once they are ready to move on to a new home, send some of "your" feed with them, & tell the new owners exactly what it is, as changes on food need to be Slooooowww! in goats

h.t.h
Little Blue

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:02:32 am »
I use  calf weaner pellets in 'mums' feed..... which is usually coarse calf mix.    The kids latch on to this very quickly and the job is a 'good'un'.

Dont forget to include extra minerals  such as Premium Goat Balancer,..... this is the very best available on the market and has received rave testimonials.

It is available by telephone order delivered to your door........ ring     01363  778792 & speak to Kym.  The company is called Denis Brinicombe.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:59:26 pm »
My seven week old started on hay but now gets her nose in the concentrates as soon as she can.  She's just started on green stuff.  I was given a big box of savoy cabbage and cauliflower leaves and she thinks they're great.  In fact they all go for the veg bucket  before staring on the concentrates.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:34:36 pm »
That's brilliant news that they are coping well on the one teat! Must have been a relief for you  :thumbsup:
Sixpence is a month old and shows a fleeting interest in his mums feed bucket but is more inclined to nibble on the hay and any browse material I put in to them. 
My last kids fed off of mum and self weaned. I think they were still having the odd sneaky drink up to about 8 months old  ;) It did no-one any harm.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS