Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! Home needed for a beautiful bully-boy bengal!  (Read 9666 times)

Twinks

• Joined Apr 2012
Help! Home needed for a beautiful bully-boy bengal!
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:26 pm »
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone here might be able to help with advice or an offer to rehome our lovely cat, Cosmic.

He's 75% bengal, mixed with tabby - 5 years old and quite a big lad as you can see from the pictures. He's a wonderful character - soft and sweet and gorgeous around adults and children - but seems to have a pathological hatred for other cats...

We took him on early in 2011 while we still lived in London after the family who owned him relocated to New Zealand.  All seemed well - there were the usual territorial battles with other cats as he established himself but then he started picking on the cats next door, going into their houses and starting fights.  Neighbours not amused.  When we moved to rural Gloucestershire we thought that this would be great for him but he's been doing the same thing with our new neighbours, to the point where they are in despair at the mounting vets bills, cleaning bills and so on. There are only so many times you can take your neighbours screeching at you - especially when you're trying to settle in to a new community! We are in despair - he's such a fantastic pet: butter wouldn't melt if you didn't know what was going on behind your back when he's out and about....

We have spoken to vets and behaviouralists and they've pretty much said we can't fix it - Bengals are known for being super territorial, so we have decided very very reluctantly that we are going to have to try to find a home for him that's either completely isolated, at a livery or on a small holding - just anywhere that's not got other cats in the immediate vicinity. He's an amazing hunter - when we were still letting him out he was bringing home mice, stoats, rabbits and so on, a few times a day - so it would be his very great pleasure to keep vermin down! For now, he's confined to the house while waiting to be set free in a lovely new home!

Hope people can help us out here - thanks a million!

Twinks

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Help! Home needed for a beautiful bully-boy bengal!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:30 pm »
and here's a pic...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:02:13 pm »
He is lovely!!!!

I hope that you can find him a suitable home. I have a cat or I would have taken him.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:01:08 pm »
He is beautiful. What a sad shame for you all  :-\  Is he neutered?
we are not too far from you, I shall ask around some of our more rural friends.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:56 pm »
What a shame, he looks lovely! My Bengal puts up with my other cats, and even enjoys playing with them ( though the aga is HIS!!); I found using feliway really helps him in stressful situations (such as when we had a poorly dog sleeping by the aga). Have you tried it? I think you can get a collar impregnatec with it (or put some on a fabric cat collar).
Good luck, let us know how he gets on!

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:30 pm »
Love Bengal cats, I saw a programme with a breeder who had a very strange life and suffered bad depression but he was ruputidly selling Bengal cats to the rich an famouse for loads!!!!! I want a cat again, use to always have cats but they do not fit in with a B&B and I think a posh indoor cat would be in the bedrooms all the time...he looks very handsome!! Hope he gets a nice home!!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:47 pm »
we are in Oxfordshire and are looking for a tuff cat to live out in the sticks with us and no other cats for miles except the feral ginger tom and i think that would be a fair enough fight. PM me if you still need to rehome him.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Twinks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:00:11 pm »
Hi everyone - apologies for the delayed reaction on this - for some reason I didn't get notified of reply posts, so thought no one had responded!

So... just to say yes our lovely Cosmic is still available - we have tried Feliway but to no avail. Poor chap definitely still needs somewhere more suitable with good owners who understand animals....

Will keep a more vigilant eye on this thread from now on!

Thanks all - Twinks! :)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »
He can come live here if the hay shed is suitable accommodation for him? Pm me if you would like to discuss ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:43:55 am »
He can come live here if the hay shed is suitable accommodation for him? Pm me if you would like to discuss ;)

i offered him a shed on my bit of land. good shed too, but i think the lady is looking for slightly more salubrious surroundings for this feline delinquent! 
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Twinks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:46 am »
just to confirm / clarify guys it would be great to find somewhere that he'll be fed - he isn't feral! should have made that clear. think he probably needs a couple of home comforts, though doesn't want pampering!

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »
Hi Twinks,
I've PMed you about your cat. We can offer him everything he needs, but I'm not sure how the dogs will get on with him in the house!? He is beautiful. Contact me if you'll think we're suitable.
From our point of view, he's just what we're looking for!!!  ;D

Twinks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 02:53:00 pm »
Hi all - just to say myself and SmallTimeSmallholder were hoping we could come to an arrangement but it turns out there are cats too close by for it to work. So, still looking and grateful for any tips or offers to rehome our lovely Cosmic!

Cheers, Twinks

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16:56 pm »
Sorry i have not been back in contact, been silly busy here!
It turns out that the posh house 500 yards down the road has a cat.... Is that to close?
If not we would still love to home him? But I fear that 500 yards will not be far enough away for a bengal....
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Twinks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:00:52 am »
Hey, thanks for getting back to me - we reckon his range is up to 200 yards, so it really depends on how far the neighbouring cats wander down to your place. If they do come down then it may not work as he will definitely fight them ... I'll PM you.
Cheers!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS