Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much to feed pregnant ewes before and after lambing  (Read 6006 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
how much to feed pregnant ewes before and after lambing
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »
was looking for a bit of advice on feeding before and after lambing i know everything depends on how many lambs they are haveing and how much to feed ewes when you turn them out with there lambs cheers

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: how much to feed pregnant ewes before and after lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:17 pm »
The answer depends on so many variables.
Are the ewes in or out?
What are they getting already - grass (good or poor grazing) hay or haylage?
What sort of sheep are they or if crossbreds then how big are they?
What condition score are they in?
When are they due to lamb?

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »
hi there they are all x ewes there is not much grass because it has been so dry they are on haylage and mineral licks ad lib,i will lamb them inside i was just worried about how much to feed them when thet are feeding there lambs

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:27 am »
I have done lots of calculations on this, as most of the literature talks about 70 or 75kg ewes, but mine are 45kg.

What I did was take the table on page 7 of this, and percentage it down for my 45kg sheep:
http://www.eblex.org.uk/documents/content/returns/brp_l_sheepsbrp_manual_12_-_improving_ewe_nutrition_for_better_returns031210.pdf

And I feed everything as if it has twins (I don't scan), as mine are usually 160-175% lambing.

I also set the week 0 date to be in the middle of my lambing period, so the later lamb'ers don't end up being over fed.  I'd rather have smaller lambs that birth easily than larger lambs which I have to help with.  I probably keep feeding after lambing until two weeks after the last ewe has lambed, or longer, depending on the weather/grass.

I also found this:
http://www.hccmpw.org.uk/medialibrary/publications/Feeding%20the%20Ewe%20e.pdf
which has more detail, esp on page 17.  If you are into your maths (as I am :)) you can do the ME sums, but it will turn out pretty much the same as the first method I mentioned.

I also used a Lifeline Ewe & Lamb tub for the first time this year, put in about 8 weeks before lambing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS